Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

Re: Peris

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    I would say that it's the most 'complete' fell race there is. It demands everything of you; pacing, climbing strength, descending technique and courage, route finding, judgement and tactics regrading nutrition and equipment and the ability to cope if the weather turns. Many other races do this too, but Peris's terrain and altitude really works you from the start to the end - it's brilliantly relentless. It's my favourite race and one i take very seriously. I won't do it if i'm not fit - you can't bodge it really.

It's a notch up from Borrowdale in terms of difficultly and as a race, but a notch down as an event as it has very very small fields, which is a real shame. I'll be there this year - can;t wait
    This was a British champs race in 2006 when 148 finished and 20 of us didn't. It was a rather hot, windless, humid day as I recall and I bonked on top of Snowdon and just couldn't get going again. Might try the early start this year or the half if it's hot, windless and humid.

That was a horrid day.. I blew horrifically..

surprised early starts are allowed in championship races..

be interesting to see how many do it, it's any 3 from 4 this year isn't it?

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    That was a horrid day.. I blew horrifically..

surprised early starts are allowed in championship races..

be interesting to see how many do it, it's any 3 from 4 this year isn't it?
    Boy it was hot. Cramps and all sorts. Took an hour longer than we had reccied it a couple of weeks before.
    Racing is meant to be quicker, not slower.

I was following one of the Horwich guys up Lliwedd.. we reached the top and he just went off on a strange line.. I asked him what was up.. and he was off for a lie down.. he'd had enough.

Going through the quarries was awful, reflected the heat.. I took 4:20 or so I think.. a year later I ran 3:35 and was only a bit fitter.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I was following one of the Horwich guys up Lliwedd.. we reached the top and he just went off on a strange line.. I asked him what was up.. and he was off for a lie down.. he'd had enough.
    Ha ha ha - know who this would be.

Is there any likelihood that this race will fill up with it being a champs race this year. Or should it be fine for entry on day as usual.

Can not wait for this race. My type of terrain, love it when its rough descending as you can break a few quicker runners on that stuff. Was also wondering i its worth sending off an entry early or not.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Might be worth it.. I don't think it will fill, is there a number limit.. I'd be surprised if it got 200+... its any 3 from 4 this year isn't it, so not a compulsary one..

There is nothing on the Eryri website or entry form saying there is a race limit..

Enjoy.. start steady.. plenty of late running if legs allow..
    Last edited by IainR; 07-08-2013 at 02:13 PM.

A race day is so so much different from a recce but you can tell just from trotting it that it will be super tough to go hard on it. I want to start strong but don't want nothing in my legs after snowdon. The first half is very runnable but that second half is all about climbing strongly and descending the rough stuff with confidence. Should be a good day out.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Early on just fast feet down the hills.. don't try to gain too much on the down hills.. try to coast.. then start attacking later on. People normally fall apart as they climb lliwedd.. Even the flat 1 mile or so.. well gradually up hill from PyP to the lliwedd path gets people..