Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanage Struggle

Stanage Struggle

Not raced for best part of two years 'cos of injuries of one sort and another. Looking to do the Stanage Struggle in two weeks time BUT don't know the route and I'd like to give it a quick check out next weekend - any info gratefully accepted.

(Clearly any bits on private land won't be recce'd)

FB

Re: Stanage Struggle

The route starts close to the Nat West bank and follows Baulk lane to Cow Close farm then crosses the road and follows the lane up to North Lees. The route through Cow Close farm is private land but you can follow the path down to the left then turn right on the road past Bronte cottage then left up the track to Northe Lees. From here follow the path towards the mountain rescue post, cross the road and follow the broad grassy path to Stanage plantation, then up Jacobs Ladder to the top. Turn left along the edge which is followed to beyond High Neb trig when there is a a reasonably obvious path down to the left. Follow this path down till you hit a broader path where you turn left. Some way along this path turn right down a steepish path to cross the roman road by a small wood. The next bit is enviromentally sensitive so you may wish to follow the track down to the road and turn left. Either way you will come to a cattle grid on the road. From here follow the path to Greens House where you turn left and the right through a stile. Follow this path across a field, through a small wood towards Bronte Cottage. Then follow the outward route to about half way along Baulk lane when you turn left following a faint path alongside a hedgerow. Follow this path to across a small stream and a short but steep climb leading to the Church. Then its down Curch Bank to finish at the school.

I'll try to post a map somewhere if I can master the technology.

I contemplated this one but don't think i can get there on the sunday - have all day saturday free though so might go and do the route then that way at least i will finish first

Top Replies, Chums - much appreciated, especially the link to hathersage.org.uk and the map.

I'll do a recce sometime this weekend; I don't know why, but routes you've done already are just so much easier on the day.

fb

It' the 10th running of the race this year so please come along and try to make it the biggest and best.

SUN.SEP 23. "10TH ANNIVERSARY" STANAGE STRUGGLE (R). BM. 11.00 a.m. 6.1m/1200' from Hathersage Primary School Field, School Lane, Hathersage, Derbyshire (GR 235817). £5 on day only. PM. Over 18. Records: 38.15 R. Little 2006; f. 44.29 C. Howard 2006. Changing facilities and refreshments. Free T-shirts to first 40 males/ first 10 females - also on sale. Field parking if dry. Details: Michael Laver, 1 Crossland Road, Hathersage, Hope Valley, S32 1AN. Tel: 01433 650443 or 07721 313728. Email: [email protected]

Only the first 40 males get a T Shirt?

Looks like I'm going to have to become a Marshall to get one to avoid the smug look on Fat Boys faces when I'm the only one in the Scotsman's Pack without one!
    Its better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.

The plan is to have some T-shirts for sale afterwards (or before if your sure you won't win one).

I was 76rd (51:40) in 2004 and 63rd (48:13) in 2006. Unfortunately the times for 39th place have been getting progressively faster over the years, (50:19, 2002 - 46:02, 2006) but I am possibly in the best shape of my life and I've been doing a lot more work in the hills so there is a slim chance I might win myself a t-shirt.

Something to aim for!

Marshalini,

Can you identify yourself at the start please. If you're aiming for 39th place I'll use you as my pacemaker then we'll both go home with a shirt.

Regards, D'arth
    Its better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.