Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3676848586

Thread: Today's Sally

EMOM press-ups routine. 11 reps (floor to lock to floor) press-ups, every minute, for 10 minutes.

Secs remaining for each of the 10X 1 min sets.

43 - 42 - 42 - 43 - 43 - 42 - 41 - 39 - 33 - 33.

This morning, while walking through the byre where the pull-up bar is sited, as sometimes is the way, I just 'had-a-go'. Today I managed to churn out 6 pull-ups and some 15 mins later, 8 chin-ups, while walking back through again. Given that I could barely manage 1 pull-up a few months ago - I'll take that. New target - 10 of each.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    This morning, while walking through the byre where the pull-up bar is sited, as sometimes is the way, I just 'had-a-go'.

This is known as "greasing the groove" in strength training circles.... a lot of people will have one located in their house on a door frame, and do a couple of pullups every time they go through the door.

Another half-hearted push session for me, straight after a tough hill rep session.

Bench Press
    5 x 15 @ 40kg

Shoulder Press
    6 x 15 @ 20kg (ie just lifting the olympic bar with no weight on it at all)

Seated chest press
    4 x 15 @ 27.5kg

The Old-Man-Test!

You've probably come across this before, but it's new to me, having (unfortunately ) discovered it yesterday. Since then I've been attempting it multiple times and have managed it eventually after some 6 efforts yesterday, and this morning I was successful after 3 attempts. I don't think this improvement is down to better balance, but rather technique.

My 'successes' are nothing like the guy's smooth completion in the video in the link. Rather, I needed plenty of room around me as there were multiple bouts of my hoping/wobbling on one leg, here and there, in order to reestablish balance, between each of the 'sections' of the task. Also, for me, I found centring my balance by looking at the horizon as much as possible helped, unlike the guy in the vid, and when tying my laces I again found using tactile methods, rather than visual support (i.e looking at the laces) proved to be better.

There's also a version of this in which the target for completion is 1 min. My successful efforts were considerably longer than that, and light perspiration was involved!

I'm guessing that runners have an advantage, and fell running in particular, as travelling over rough ground probably helps us instinctively to develop micro balance adjustments, as well as leg strength.

Anyway, a fun exercise, with some health benefits (?)if somewhat frustrating at times as well as providing a grounding (no pun intended) dose of humility.

(Oh, and another hint. Make sure that the space in which you complete this doesn't contain any valuable items, such as Ming vases, sleeping cats, Ipads left on the carpet, and such!) .

https://www.fitandwell.com/features/old-man-test
    Am Yisrael Chai

Crikey.

Looked at the video once and thought that looks like a piece of piss.

And it was.

Did it in 45 seconds first go

Must be a benefit of my Pilates classes!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Crikey indeed! Well done Llani, you're a certified youngster I def need to up my game.

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, involves completing the old man test, blind folded, while balancing a pint of rivet catcher on your bonce, and singing ‘Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau’
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    EMWM for 52 minutes, chin-ups, 1 x 5, 19 pairs, the rest singles. So 75 in total.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Crikey.

Looked at the video once and thought that looks like a piece of piss.

And it was.

Did it in 45 seconds first go

Must be a benefit of my Pilates classes!
    Just now...

1 min 7 secs, then 42.40 secs straight afterwards. I think you're right. It is about practise with balance, muscle memory, and you're tempting me to try pilates or similar!!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    EMWM for 52 minutes, chin-ups, 1 x 5, 19 pairs, the rest singles. So 75 in total.
    Well done Mike - that's a cracking number. There will be chiseled biceps for this summer!
    Am Yisrael Chai

EMOM press-ups routine. 10 reps (floor to lock to floor) press-ups, every minute, for 10 minutes.

Secs remaining for each of the 10X 1 min sets.

44 - 44 - 44 - 45 - 44 - 45 - 44 - 43 - 42 - 42.
    Am Yisrael Chai