Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhinog Horseshoe

Re: Rhinog Horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Doing a recce of this next weekend. I have the rough race route from the website, but that just shows checkpoints and then you get your own routes.

On the whole it looks quite logical but the main issue is the route between the two rhinog peaks themselves, any tips/on line descriptions?
    Iain,
    In the race, when you get to Rhinog Fawr do not be tempted to turn in the direction of Rhinog Fach. Instead steer at 90 degrees to it and follow small rough paths that appear to take you away from your destination. As you get towards the lower slopes of Rhinog Fawr do a clockwise semicircle to get to Bwlch Drws Arduddwy. The direct line between the two Rhinogs is perilous.
    Yiannis
    PS: There is no other mountain like Rhinog Fach!

That sounds roughly the way we went, seemed the most logical and safe route. I'm probably not doing the horseshoe as the football season is under way, but will do Sundays race as I play Saturdays.

FellMonster

I thought it odd that Lloyd's course record is only 12 minutes faster than Jackie Lee's ladies record...I take it LLoyd has just played follow the leader til the end was in sight??

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    That sounds roughly the way we went, seemed the most logical and safe route. I'm probably not doing the horseshoe as the football season is under way, but will do Sundays race as I play Saturdays.

Which is Sundays race?

Sundays race is Arenig Fawr. 7 miles or so. http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2525
    Last edited by IainR; 26-09-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I thought it odd that Lloyd's course record is only 12 minutes faster than Jackie Lee's ladies record...I take it LLoyd has just played follow the leader til the end was in sight??
    Jacky is extremely good over rough terrain and obviously knows her way around the Rhinogs better than most. The first time the race was run she got ahead of Colin Donnelly somewhere between Rhinog Fawr and Rhinog Fach where Colin must have attempted a direct line and got into trouble.
    Yiannis

Yiannis, you make that big east/south east swing sound fairly straightforward. When you are actually up there, it seems an awfully long way out of the ideal line. But the terrain going straight between the two down the rocky gully is HORRENDOUS!.
    Any more tips for getting that circuitous route right would be much appreciated. Digby posted a very detailed account on the last forum...now lost forever. Who is/was he? Can someone get him to post again?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I've just noticed that the race has been put back a week. Just posting in case you didn't realise. Wonder why its been delayed.......

Further enquiries from past racer indicate that everyone goes 'round' from R.F. My only recce that way, made me think a) It's quite a long way round, and b) Still very easy to take the wrong path, especially if you don't know it or can't see anyone ahead (who preferable does know it).

It's really a matter of best way to the plateau, from whence you head for the stone wall down into the cwm. There are a very few small rock cairns across that setion to help - if you can spot them .

Looking back up, I still reckon route down the 'chute' could be quicker, if you were very good on rock descents (near vertical) and knew the line spot on to cut across to the plateau. I did it once in thick clag, but I had no idea where I was going, so that was luck.

Get it wrong either way and you'll fill the swear box
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I think I heard the Organiser is on Holiday when it was scheduled to be held.

It now clashes with OMM, Snowdon Marathon and I think some other event.