Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2022-23

Warwickshire County Champs today.

A new venue and a very interesting course. Part frozen solid, part very slippy mud and field. First half mile of each lap was incredibly hilly for an XC course, and the rest of the lap was along the side of ploughed fields where it was very tough to get any decent grip.

Didn't have my best run, but managed 40:19 for a tough 10km (although i didn't run with my GPS watch today, but i reckon it was a good 400mtr short at least).

Rather unexpectedly picked up a bronze in the Masters Team medals. Unexpected as our top Masters guy ran for the seniors, and another regular Masters counter was missing.

The gamble from the management paid off as we picked up the gold in the seniors team (and the women's seniors team).

Good day for the club, but must confess i'm rather relieved to have a couple of weeks off racing now to concentrate on training.

Well done on the bling Travs.

Our, Derbyshire XC champs, are on the 7th Jan at Markeaton Park. They are a joint event with Notts and the venue changes every other year with Woolaton Park. Both nice courses but parking is a nightmare!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Thank you Llani.

Yes ours was shared with Worcestershire... which makes things very difficult with knowing where you actually are in the race... with two county champs, and U20/Senior/Masters all together.

I think i came over the line somewhere in the 80's, but was actually 16th Warwickshire Master.

I usually park on the roads outside Woolaton Park and never had any issues, even for the National XC.

[QUOTE=Travs;681347]

Yes ours was shared with Worcestershire... which makes things very difficult with knowing where you actually are in the race... with two county champs, and U20/Senior/Masters all together.

Yes, it can be difficult to know who you are racing against but to help, one of the counties has to wear their number on their back!

Today was this seasons 3rd Booths Decorators League XC in Ilkeston, on the site of the old American Adventure Park. I think that 10 local running clubs compete. Some decent runners at the sharp end. The surface was mainly frosty grass with a few icy rutted sections.

Two laps totalling just under 5 miles in distance which was a bit short for me as I had only got comfy by the end of mile 3. Anyway, I was happy with 62nd place in 33 min 14 sec.

Silver medal for Emile Cairess(Leeds City) at the european champs today. Really good race... Ingerbritsen proved too strong in the end, but really pleased he got a medal. Can't see past him for the National XC in February.

I received an e-mail yesterday informing me that Derby City Council have declared that Markeaton Park was not now available for the Derbys/Notts XC champs, due to take place this Saturday, because of "the state of the ground".

I suspect that the decision was taken by someone who is not a runner and more interested in not having a muddy groove around their public park than the health benefits that exercise can provide. Ironically, this week Derbyshire has been chosen as a trial area for GP's to prescribe outdoor exercise for their patients.

The park cannot be in that much of a "state" as it is still open to the public.

However Notts AAA's and Notts AC have come to the rescue and the event will now be held at Bulwell Hall Park, Nottingham. An extra 10 mile each way on my journey so no big deal but I have no idea of what the course will have in store.

Derby 0 Nottingham 1 (own goal)!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 06-01-2023 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I received an e-mail yesterday informing me that Derby City Council have declared that Markeaton Park was not now available for the Derbys/Notts XC champs, due to take place this Saturday, because of "the state of the ground".

I suspect that the decision was taken by someone who is not a runner and more interested in not having a muddy groove around their public park than the health benefits that exercise can provide. Ironically, this week Derbyshire has been chosen as a trial area for GP's to prescribe outdoor exercise for their patients.

The park cannot be in that much of a "state" as it is still open to the public.

However Notts AAA's and Notts AC have come to the rescue and the event will now be held at Bulwell Hall Park, Nottingham. An extra 10 mile each way on my journey so no big deal but I have no idea of what the course will have in store.

Derby 0 Nottingham 1 (own goal)!
    Whilst it pains me to say it, as I come from the west side of the M1 rather than the east, that is some achievement from Notts AAA's and Notts AC to find a venue for the champs at short notice, so well done to them.

Hope it goes well for you

Kudo's to Notts AAA's, Notts AC and Bulwell Hall Golf Club for putting on, with only 72 hrs, notice an excellent Derbys/Notts XC Championships event. The seniors course was a short lap followed by 3 longer laps totalling six and a half miles of parkland. Tacky, rather than muddy, underfoot with a couple of boggy sections which was ideal for my Mudclaws. I would have preferred a few hills as the total ascent was only 248 feet and mainly gained by three long, leg sapping drags.

Both counties run all age group events together with Derbyshire runners wearing numbers front and back and Notts front only so that officials know who's who and runners know who they are racing!

I wasn't feeling too good but finished 52nd Derbyshire runner overall and 6th in my 55-64 aged group, which I was happy with considering I am at the top end of it at 64!

Looking forward to the Nationals, near Chester, next month as I have not done them before.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 07-01-2023 at 11:23 PM.

See you at the Nationals Llani.

Some event that is, although it is a new venue this year.

League fixture for us next saturday at the excellent Warley Woods course in Smethwick.