Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medals in trail races

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Medals in trail races

Can anyone explain to me the obsession that trail runners seem to have with getting a medal in every race? And what do regular trail runners do with all their medals? Do they have cupboards full of them? Why don't trail race organisers understand that what you really want to be given at the finish is a piece of cake, and the only souvenir needed after a race is a results sheet?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I can't explain it, other than i think a greater proportion of fellrunners are looking to compete rather than complete, in comparison to "trail runners" (i hate the term!).

Its also a case of marketing... trail race organisers would appear to my amateur eyes to be looking to pull in big fields, and for that they need the more casual runner, and medals and t-shirts would seem to be a pull for them (how often do you see people in a Wolf-runner t-shirt at your local parkrun, and they can't even run round 5km)

I guess the same accusation of medal-hunting is often thrown at road runners, although i think there are two completely distinct types of road runner... those you see at the National/Regional road relays have far more in common with your average fell runner than they do with casual road runners.

I'm sat here with a handful of medals from the Welsh 1000 Metres in the drawer... the times and positions mean far more, and i would swap them all without question for knocking 45secs off my Stretton Skyline time and finally dipping under 3hrs!!
    Last edited by Travs; 05-01-2023 at 04:39 PM.

Yes, it's like "finisher" T-shirts - more about demonstrating that you're good enough to finish the course.

I have a few T-shirts that I'm happy to wear with pride to show I did it. I guess it depends on the event.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I have a few T-shirts that I'm happy to wear with pride to show I did it. I guess it depends on the event.
    I also have a couple from a few years back but mine seem to have shrunk in the wash!
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I recall wearing my Kentmere Horseshoe 2016 t-shirt with pride for a couple of years, only to then find a few years later that they were being sold on the PB van for a couple of quid!!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Can anyone explain to me the obsession that trail runners seem to have with getting a medal in every race? And what do regular trail runners do with all their medals? Do they have cupboards full of them? Why don't trail race organisers understand that what you really want to be given at the finish is a piece of cake, and the only souvenir needed after a race is a results sheet?
    I saw a trail race organiser on facebook recently saying that he was thinking of not having medals next year. The number of people who replied that if so they wouldn't run it - not sure the RO has much choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    I saw a trail race organiser on facebook recently saying that he was thinking of not having medals next year. The number of people who replied that if so they wouldn't run it - not sure the RO has much choice.
    Ha ha. When I stopped road running I threw all my dozens of medals etc away and all my road race results. It was a damascene moment.

I kept my ten marathon medals though to remind me never to run one again.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I do a full range of races and so get a few medals. I always pick a kid in the crowd and give it to them - generally make their day. I prefer memories, though I'm proud of my ToP Tshirts, Thanks Mr Carr.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ha ha. When I stopped road running I threw all my dozens of medals etc away and all my road race results. It was a damascene moment.

I kept my ten marathon medals though to remind me never to run one again.
    I threw out my London/Berlin marathon medals some years ago - they were fairly tacky. I have kept my 4 Sierre-Zinal medals as they are works of art, and there is the odd race photo and drinking mug scattered about the house. Most treasured is a print - framed - of Wasdale Screes with my Wasdale time and Joss's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Most treasured is a print - framed - of Wasdale Screes with my Wasdale time and Joss's signature.
    That reminded me I must have some of those so I dug them out and also found my Ennerdale certificates of Scarth Gap.

I remember my 1990 Ennerdale run when I was badly dehydrated and finished on my knees in 6.30 but had forgotten my next attempt in 2000 when, ten years older (55) and presumably a lot wiser, I finished in 5.09.

I hope I was pleased with the improvement at the time!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-04-2023 at 10:53 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".