Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Beck

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

When you have heard one Hendrix album you have heard all he could do ...
    That is sacrilege, Graham

So, only one of the aforementioned guitarists never made a dull album - and he died this week
    No, I'm not having that either. I never 'got' the Jeff Beck 'genius' that some talk about, so you'll have to supply evidence if you want me to believe it

In the mean time I think I'll listen to some Randy Rhoads; now he really could play the instrument ...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In the mean time I think I'll listen to some Randy Rhoads; now he really could play the instrument ...
    Indeed. A life tragically cut short and the very reason my electric guitar has a black white polka dot paint job in tribute.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Indeed. A life tragically cut short and the very reason my electric guitar has a black white polka dot paint job in tribute.
    And, for those who haven't seen it, here is the black/white polka dot Sandoval flying V in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3LvhdFEOqs

People with short attention spans can skip the first minute

And, for those who haven't seen it, here is the black/white polka dot Sandoval flying V in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3LvhdFEOqs

People with short attention spans can skip the first minute
    Well it wasn't Jimmy McGriff and certainly not Jimmy Smith but I quite liked the start.

Anyway it's undoubtably my age or maybe a Birmingham thing but I've never seen the point of Ozzie Osborne: and I've even listened to Crazy Train again.

And I've been on t'internet and it seems your hero just copied Van Halen?

But never mind. I used to like Duane Eddy. Although he couldn't play well and allegedly on some of his records he didn't play at all.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 14-01-2023 at 10:02 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

When a bunch of old gits start dissing (that’s a modern word) each other’s guitar heroes, ‘tis time to step back, open some popcorn and enjoy the forthcoming carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    When a bunch of old gits start dissing (that’s a modern word) each other’s guitar heroes, ‘tis time to step back, open some popcorn and enjoy the forthcoming carnage.
    I think I might watch This Is Spinal Tap again on BBC1 tonight.

Well it wasn't Jimmy McGriff and certainly not Jimmy Smith but I quite liked the start.

Anyway it's undoubtably my age or maybe a Birmingham thing but I've never seen the point of Ozzie Osborne: and I've even listened to Crazy Train again.

And I've been on t'internet and it seems your hero just copied Van Halen?

But never mind. I used to like Duane Eddy. Although he couldn't play well and allegedly on some of his records he didn't play at all.
    Well his name is Ozzy with a Y for a start and I think you will find that Randy was a contemporary of EVH when Quiet Riot/Mammoth were both thought of as the next big thing so who's to say who copied who?
    Anyway, I think they both had their own style and I know which I prefer. You can admire a lot of guitarists for technical ability (EVH, Steve Vai etc) but it is those that combine it with soul that do it for me. Randy did that with spades.
    Last edited by PeteS; 15-01-2023 at 12:47 AM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Well his name is Ozzy with a Y for a start and I think you will find that Randy was a contemporary of EVH when Quiet Riot/Mammoth were both thought of as the next big thing so who's to say who copied who?
    Ozzy. I am corrected.

Looking back to 65/66 and the Yardbirds third appearance at Leeds Union (but their first with Jeff Beck) apart from developing Leeds as the venue of choice for name bands the Ents. Sec. was really engineering his way into the music business - he played the guitar.

The Who played at Leeds in my time and since the Refectory had a minimally low stage I stood just a few feet from Pete Townsend as he polished his guitar destruction act and then watched as all the bits were rapidly picked up to be glued back together. Their record Live At Leeds was recorded some years later but by then my chum was working at the notorious Immediate Records (of Rod Stewart, Small Faces, Chris Farlowe, Fleetwood Mac, etc fame) and I was working in the gas industry.

I have said before that when Michelangelo Antonioni made the film Blow Up in London he wanted The Who to perform their guitar smashing act but the Yardbirds ended up in the film instead (by which time Jimmy Page was also in the band) and so Jeff Beck happily destroyed a guitar for the cameras playing “Stroll On” (which is actually Tiny Bradshaw’s “The Train Kept A- Rollin” with enough lyrics changed for the Yardbirds to claim the publishing).

But all in a day’s work.

Anyway, I think they both had their own style and I know which I prefer. You can admire a lot of guitarists for technical ability (EVH, Steve Vai etc) but it is those that combine it with soul that do it for me. Randy did that with spades.
    Yep, that's about the way I see it.

Because of my, er, slightly restrictive upbringing I didn't get to see Randy Rhoads play (he was dead before I sat my first 'O' level exam). I do know two people, however, who did see him, along with all the other rock bands of the era, and they both say he was by far the best

I can't say I'm a great Ozzy Osbourne fan either, but if you've ever spent a bit of time in Aston (which I have) then you'd understand why Black Sabbath sounded like they did!

I had the benefit last night of my next door neighbour, with whom I share the party wall, being out. I was therefore able to play the Ozzy Osbourne/Randy Rhoads album Tribute at the considerable volume it was intended to be played at. In the middle of the live album there are three Sabbath songs in a row: Iron man, Children of the grave and Paranoid, but they sound WAAAY better than the Sabbath versions and the guitar solo on Children of the grave is really special

I don't doubt that there were great guitarists in the sixties, as well as Hendrix of course, but there have been some really great ones since. The times and the music may have changed, but the greatness hasn't

Yep, that's about the way I see it.

Because of my, er, slightly restrictive upbringing I didn't get to see Randy Rhoads play (he was dead before I sat my first 'O' level exam). I do know two people, however, who did see him, along with all the other rock bands of the era, and they both say he was by far the best

I can't say I'm a great Ozzy Osbourne fan either, but if you've ever spent a bit of time in Aston (which I have) then you'd understand why Black Sabbath sounded like they did!

I had the benefit last night of my next door neighbour, with whom I share the party wall, being out. I was therefore able to play the Ozzy Osbourne/Randy Rhoads album Tribute at the considerable volume it was intended to be played at. In the middle of the live album there are three Sabbath songs in a row: Iron man, Children of the grave and Paranoid, but they sound WAAAY better than the Sabbath versions and the guitar solo on Children of the grave is really special

I don't doubt that there were great guitarists in the sixties, as well as Hendrix of course, but there have been some really great ones since. The times and the music may have changed, but the greatness hasn't
    Sadly I did not see Randy Rhoads live either but do have a signed copy of the Tribute album and yes the Sabbath songs in particular sound great.
    I lived in Lozells for part of my early childhood and went to senior school in Aston for 5 years. It hasn't changed much but thankfully the sensory assault from Ansells Brewery and the HP sauce factory wafting across the playground are long gone.
    You can see how the Sabbath sound originated - it is a tough area. Of the 3 main protagonists that were cited as the original UK heavy metal bands, I have long thought that Black Sabbath were truly the only one's worthy of the monicker.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast