Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Montane Spine 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Prior to the short term reduced fare of £2, I am pretty sure it used to be £8 whether you went one stop or the length of Cumbria. There were family and group reductions, and you could break your journey into sections, but it was still not at all cheap. I had just got my old age bus pass when Covid came along, so I have never used it.

I think in Germany it is 9 Euro per month for unlimited train travel, apart from the real quickies.

Cheap and efficient travel should be regarded as a social service, and not just for those who use it. And the planet would thank us.
    I think £12 for most journeys for a return ticket.
    Going from Shap to Kendal on one of the few remaining buses would cost the two of us £24 at full fare. Going in the car uses about £5-6 worth of diesel, even at today's prices. And we could take three other people, park for free within an easy walk of the town, carry as much shopping as we liked and stay as long as we liked.
    When we moved to Shap one of the attractions was a regular bus service, which was affordable if still more expensive than using the car. I would use it to go to Tebay or Borrowdale and run from there. Sadly it has been cut back and cut back and in spite of some valiant efforts by voluntary supporters is now a shadow of its former self. I'm not one to complain about lack of rural facilities. Moving here I knew the broadband wouldn't work and didn't expect to see an ambulance any time soon. (Twice needed an emergency ambulance for neighbours, before the current difficulties, well over an hour each time).I knew this when I moved here, it doesn't worry me. But I am disappointed that the bus service has deteriorated to such an extent.

Well, shall we continue on this thread or start a 2024 one?

I'm easy either way but my money will still be on Jack Scott.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    In an attempt to reduce waste, I'll recycle this thread....

Tracker is here:
    https://live.opentracking.co.uk/spinerace24/

Mainly favourable conditions so far with 6 male runners ahead of record pace including Jack Scott, Kim Collison and Damian Hall. John Kelly has pulled out after 65 miles with a sprained ankle.
    Claire Bannwarth heads the female race with Nicky Spinks an admirable 4th.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Looks like Llani's boy is odds on favourite now with a 9 mile lead over Damo Hall and hours up on record time. Challenging conditions for tonight though - snow, fog, -7 in a strong northwesterly.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Truly Amazing.
    Not going to go under 3 days, but to knock probably over 12 hours off a tough record!!!
    WOW

I've just watched the live feed of the finish. The look on ultrarunners faces straight after an event is not a good advertisement for the sport.

But what an achievement - well done Jack Scott.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Jack Scott has finished, and taken more than 10 hours off the record. So Jasmin isn't invincible after all.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Jack Scott's time is incredible - 10 hours off the record. Chapeau, Sir!
    First, 3 all below Jasmine Paris's time too. Interesting conversation to be had by Konrad there!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Jack Scott's time is incredible - 10 hours off the record. Chapeau, Sir!
    First, 3 all below Jasmine Paris's time too. Interesting conversation to be had by Konrad there!
    Konrad's time is more than 2 hours slower than Jasmin's old record.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges