Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steep slopes

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Thanks for all these comments. Sgorr nam Fiannaidh above Glencoe does indeed look impressive on the map. Glamaig would also be really brutal from the nearest point on the A87; the Glamaig Hill Race goes from Sligachan, so has a bit of gentler climbing before the really steep stuff. And the Grasmoor climb from Crummock Water must be among the best in the Lakes.

All this has reminded me that Autumn is when the steepest and most prestigious Vertical Kilometre races in the Alps take place. I have just been looking at some results, and I see that Christel Dewalle is continuing her one-woman campaign of lowering the VK World Record. After her 34:55 at Le Grand Serre in 2022, she did 34:14 a few weeks later at Fully, and has now lowered that to 34:12 at this year's VK at Fully. [Holly Page was 3rd woman, but more than 7 minutes slower.] As far as I am aware, no other woman has gone below 35 minutes at any Vertical Kilometre race. Among the men, no-one has come near Philip Götsch's 28:53, achieved in 2017 at Fully.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Grassmoor via Red Gill is indeed steep and long.... however in my view it would be too loose to be considered for a race.

Scafell from Wastwater via Green How is a long one by English standards. And i think the only place they've ever had a Vertical Kilometre in Wales is the Watkin Path, although doesn't strike me as incredibly steep.

Helvellyn from Thirlmere via the reverse of the Old County Tops descent is quite sustained, although perhaps not quite as steep as some of the others.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Grassmoor via Red Gill is indeed steep and long.... however in my view it would be too loose to be considered for a race.

Scafell from Wastwater via Green How is a long one by English standards. And i think the only place they've ever had a Vertical Kilometre in Wales is the Watkin Path, although doesn't strike me as incredibly steep.

Helvellyn from Thirlmere via the reverse of the Old County Tops descent is quite sustained, although perhaps not quite as steep as some of the others.
    That Vertical Kilometre race on Yr Wyddfa wasn't even as steep as going all the way up the Watkin path; it went up the South Ridge, via the col north of Yr Aran. A route up the Watkin path, taking all the possible shortcuts in the upper part, would be reasonably steep, but still not comparable to the ones I mentioned in the Alps.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges