Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Scafell Pike

Well done Anthony.... climbing well as usual.

That path beneath the Screes is, with the exception of Scafell Pike itself, the major hotspot for Wasdale Mountain Rescue callouts.... so many people get stuck on there.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well done Anthony.... climbing well as usual.

That path beneath the Screes is, with the exception of Scafell Pike itself, the major hotspot for Wasdale Mountain Rescue callouts.... so many people get stuck on there.
    While clambering over the boulders on the path below the screes, it reminded me of another location that should have had a race today, which was cancelled: the summit ridge of Elidir Fawr. Anyway, the people (and a dog) on the paddle-boards on the lake were certainly making easier progress than I was on the "path".

I should have mentioned that the winner of the Scafell Pike race was Loughborough graduate Joseph Dugdale.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    96 finishers (and one retirement) at Scafell Pike on Saturday. The Army have traditionally supported this race by bringing a large contingent, which probably helped me get a position not far below halfway down the results list (51st): the soldiers obviously have a good general fitness level, but not many have specific fell-running experience.

I overcooked the initial steep climb up Lingmell Nose (which accounts for just over half the total ascent); at the top of this climb, I was just behind the leading woman, who finished 28th overall. From there, it was just a case of holding on, and trying not to lose too many places.

Another disadvantage of going so fast at the start was that I stayed ahead of Lindsay Buck on the traverse across the moorland to the tourist path. Last year, she showed me a brilliant short-cut through the boulders and crags; this year, she was behind me reaching the tourist path, and then appeared coming down from the summit as I was approaching it on the way up!

My fuel-gauge hit zero near the top of Lingmell Nose on the way down. It's not a technical descent, but I was struggling even to move my legs forward to let gravity do the work. By the finish, I was completely exhausted.

Note for future reference: walking from Wasdale Hall to Brackenclose along the "path" at the base of the Screes is a great experience, but is not recommended as the prelude to a demanding fell race.
    I have done that path under The Screes several times - the first time my response was 'WTF', and each subsequent time I have felt the same - it is a bit like childbirth I imagine - each time you do it you think never again, but then the stress of the event somehow erases the memory.

I did the race back in 2011, and managed to beat Lindsay by a couple of minutes.