Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Scafell Pike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paninaro View Post
    I've just been eyeing this up and wondered how much local knowledge is required for this? The nearest race I've done is Blencathra last year (which I finished well to the back), but the top looks like it'd be a trickier proposition if the murk descends.

Cheers
    This is the best race in the world mate, honestly do it. Go up the day before with a map and a compass (you won't have to use them if it's clear) and check out the route. It's straight up Lingmell then along to the summit. I've done it three times and I've never gone wrong yet...I've done it in the clag and managed to find the right line just by sense, memory and following people but you could definitely get lost a bit on the descent. It should only take 2.5 or 3 hours to walk up and down easily.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    This is the best race in the world mate, honestly do it.
    There might be a good reason why anyone who likes to think they are a bit of a fell runner hasn't done this pure, sublime and classic race - but in over 30 years of fell running I've yet to hear of one.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 09-08-2017 at 07:49 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Aye, that was the last time I saw him.
    He talked about doing the Wasdale show BOFRA race.
    It's his birthday tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Aye, that was the last time I saw him.
    He talked about doing the Wasdale show BOFRA race.
    It's his birthday tomorrow.
    ...and his description of the race, he wrote not long before he died, that showed what a brilliant writer he actually was.

http://penninefellrunners.co.uk/wordpress/?p=1926

Love that one, Millipede. Bloody spot on, gutted I never had the pleasure of meeting Daz.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Quote Originally Posted by CalFerguson View Post
    Love that one, Millipede. Bloody spot on, gutted I never had the pleasure of meeting Daz.
    Think you would have got on really well.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    There might be a good reason why anyone who likes to think they are a bit of a fell runner hasn't done this pure, sublime and classic race - but in over 30 years of fell running I've yet to hear of one.
    I am trying to think of a reason, but the best I can come up with is: "From where I live, Snowdonia is nearer than the Lake District, so Snowdonia is where I went when I wanted to run up big mountains."

My first Category A race was Ben Lomond, and my second was Goat Fell, and I always retained a fondness for races which simply go up and down one big hill (except for Ben Nevis). But somehow I have never made it to the Scafell Pike race.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I am trying to think of a reason, but the best I can come up with is: "From where I live, Snowdonia is nearer than the Lake District, so Snowdonia is where I went when I wanted to run up big mountains."

My first Category A race was Ben Lomond, and my second was Goat Fell, and I always retained a fondness for races which simply go up and down one big hill (except for Ben Nevis). But somehow I have never made it to the Scafell Pike race.
    Well you aren't dead yet so...
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

One of the best by far. No need for an eyeballs out start as numbers low enough to avoid all the jostling you get at at the other big races (10 in 1992 but that was due to bad weather) then it's a big grind up followed by a laugh out loud and eyeballs out descent. Pure racing at it's best.
    One step beyond.