Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Scafell Pike

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A select group of 63 runners lined up for this year's race up and down England's highest mountain; so different from all the razzmatazz around the Snowdon and Ben Nevis races. Ian Holmes rode over from Bingley on his motorbike; I strolled over from Eskdale Youth Hostel (it seemed a better option than cycling round via Santon Bridge); and Olga Wiggins was there with her phone to document the proceedings in her inimitable style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0zPwey4qQ.

After a minute's silence and a start-line photo by Andy Holden, we were off. I made good progress up the steep climb of Lingmell nose. Then onto the traverse over more gently sloping moorland to meet the tourist path, I took the upper of two trods. Andy Holden took the lower one, and gained ground on me, but so did the woman I was following on the upper one; so I may have overcooked it on that first steep climb. Lindsay Buck caught me just as we reached the tourist path; I thought she would be a good person to follow, but it was hard work keeping up with her as she took an unerringly straight and steep line through the boulders, cutting off some distance from the path which is less direct. Eventually you do have to join the tourist path, but it's on the way back down that it takes real skill to avoid crashing into the myriad walkers.

It was on the moorland traverse back to Lingmell nose that the wheels came off - or, to be more precise, the soles came off. First, I noticed the sole of my right shoes flapping loose. After a while, it came off entirely, and was obligingly picked up by Peter McCann, running just behind me. I carried on, managing to run reasonable distances between each occasion when my bum made contact with the ground. Onto Lingmell nose, and the left sole started flapping loose. After a few more bum-grass contacts, I decided there was only one remedy. Off came the shoes and socks. I didn't want to leave any litter, so I held onto them until the stile, where there were a couple of walkers chatting to the marshal. Me: "Are you on your way down?". Walker: "Yes." Me: "Can you find a dustbin to put these in?" [hands over a pair of manky shoes].

Running barefoot down the grassy slopes was actually very pleasant, although the last few hundred metres along a stony footpath were agony. Position-wise, I finished 53rd, having probably been in the mid-30's at the summit; but only 4 people had passed me after the shoes came off, three of them on that last stony path. Ian Holmes finished 3rd; since graduating from M50 to M55, he has stopped winning races.

I do realise that the shoe incident wouldn't have been so funny if it had happened on the higher part of the mountain. Ironically, it happened because for once I did inspect my racing shoes before leaving home. I found that the stitching between the upper and the sole was coming apart on one shoe; I knew that there was another old pair of Walsh PB Racers, so I took those out, and they seemed to be in better condition. But clearly the glue holding the sole together had perished (or whatever glue does).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Great report, mate.

I usually do this race every year but not fit enough at the moment. Really looking forward to being back on it for next year.

Well done on your run and I hope you've kept some of the shoes together!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Master
    I have had one shoe split in two on me several times when out on the hills, but for both to do so - wow, that is unfortunate.

Nice video by Olga.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Nice video by Olga.
    Yes, but why would anyone enter a race and then fanny about with a camera and try to talk to runners, some of whom, understandably, totally ignored her?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

It is a totally alien concept to me... but some people have a totally different view on racing compared to you and me...

I had this argument with someone on facebook recently who was saying fellracing is all about the camaraderie etc...

Not to me, its a race... of course i'll happily chat to anyone even during a race (if i can manage it), but i'm there to race first and foremost.
    Last edited by Travs; 16-09-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Yes, but why would anyone enter a race and then fanny about with a camera and try to talk to runners, some of whom, understandably, totally ignored her?
    I've never really understood that either really
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    It certainly makes sense to say that you can run a race, or you can make a video of a race, but not both at the same time. And for myself, when I'm on a start line my focus is entirely on getting round the course as fast as possible, and I wouldn't want to do anything that distracts me from that. But I can't help feeling that Olga wouldn't have produced such a good video if she hadn't been round the whole course, seeing the other runners (and marshals) in all parts of the route.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Only 20 pre-entries for Scafell Pike. I trust that there will be more than that entering on the day; I don't like crowded races, but I (and the organisers!) would welcome rather more than 20. I noticed that only 4 of the pre-entries were from Cumbrian clubs; maybe the locals just make up their mind whether to run on the morning of the race, whereas those of us who have to travel some distance need to plan ahead.

I also noticed that there were just 3 women entered, all of them over 50. One Welsh race last weekend had over a third of its participants (9 out of 26) being women, and every one of those women was over 50. Are the younger women too busy looking after children to go fell running? [I will need to check that in Steve Chilton's "Voices from the Hills", which is currently still in my pile of books waiting to be read].
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    96 finishers (and one retirement) at Scafell Pike on Saturday. The Army have traditionally supported this race by bringing a large contingent, which probably helped me get a position not far below halfway down the results list (51st): the soldiers obviously have a good general fitness level, but not many have specific fell-running experience.

I overcooked the initial steep climb up Lingmell Nose (which accounts for just over half the total ascent); at the top of this climb, I was just behind the leading woman, who finished 28th overall. From there, it was just a case of holding on, and trying not to lose too many places.

Another disadvantage of going so fast at the start was that I stayed ahead of Lindsay Buck on the traverse across the moorland to the tourist path. Last year, she showed me a brilliant short-cut through the boulders and crags; this year, she was behind me reaching the tourist path, and then appeared coming down from the summit as I was approaching it on the way up!

My fuel-gauge hit zero near the top of Lingmell Nose on the way down. It's not a technical descent, but I was struggling even to move my legs forward to let gravity do the work. By the finish, I was completely exhausted.

Note for future reference: walking from Wasdale Hall to Brackenclose along the "path" at the base of the Screes is a great experience, but is not recommended as the prelude to a demanding fell race.
    Jorge Luis Borges