Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sexism

Sexism

I've gone in the same hairdressers since I moved to Blackburn apart from my first venture to the local barber which was not a great experience.

I have a wash, cut and blow.

Takes about 20-25 minutes and they have charged me from £10 to £15 now.

My wife used to travel to her old hairdresser in Bacup, but after some issues decided to go to the one I'd used about 4-5 years ago.

She was charged £26, then £27, then £30 and this morning she's come back and it's £33, so mine will probably go up a couple of quid when I next go.

I'm just staggered that women can do this to women. Charging my wife double for exactly the same. In fact I've got a comparative jungle, so I'm a bigger job.

Looking around at other salons, it's the same. It seems to be industry practise.

Appalling.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I've gone in the same hairdressers since I moved to Blackburn apart from my first venture to the local barber which was not a great experience.

I have a wash, cut and blow.

Takes about 20-25 minutes and they have charged me from £10 to £15 now.

My wife used to travel to her old hairdresser in Bacup, but after some issues decided to go to the one I'd used about 4-5 years ago.

She was charged £26, then £27, then £30 and this morning she's come back and it's £33, so mine will probably go up a couple of quid when I next go.

I'm just staggered that women can do this to women. Charging my wife double for exactly the same. In fact I've got a comparative jungle, so I'm a bigger job.

Looking around at other salons, it's the same. It seems to be industry practise.

Appalling.
    Yes WP, but remember that the hairdresser is also charging for her listening skills and also a fee to keep schtum regarding the things Mrs WP tells her about you.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

It's not just hairdressing; it's in running, too.

At the recent Midland and National road relays, in Sutton Park, the men's teams consisted of 6 runners, but the women's teams had 4 runners. Worse still, the women ran a shorter distance, so their £9 per runner fee at the National champs worked out slightly more £/mile than the men's £9 per runner fee.

How is this right in 2023, and how do they get away with it?

Puts on tin hat, and retreats to bunker at double speed

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Yes WP, but remember that the hairdresser is also charging for her listening skills and also a fee to keep schtum regarding the things Mrs WP tells her about you.
    Mind boggling!

My stylist frequently talks with me about world economcis, and much else, and he said during covid he particpated in a course to clarify the cost base for his business - eg how should he cost his time. He said he discovered he had been undercharging for things like perms (women's anyway) and post-covid he realigned his prices.

Since covid his male charges have been progressivley increasing which I presume is to reflect the "lost profit opportunity" of cutting men's hair.

Which might also explain why I have never seen another male in the salon when I have visited.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-12-2023 at 02:56 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

In my complete lack of experience, I'd suggest that a trip to the hairdressers is a different experience to
    a trip to the barbers. One is comfy and warm with cups of tea and nice decor. Plus they take time on your hair, have opinions about various styles, and chat to you, while not appearing to rush. Barbers tend to do standard styles quickly.

But you're right, it's then strange that they give you the same treatment for less because you're a bloke.

You should go in next time and ask for an asymmetric beehive with highlights, to see what that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    In my complete lack of experience, I'd suggest that a trip to the hairdressers is a different experience to
    a trip to the barbers. One is comfy and warm with cups of tea and nice decor. Plus they take time on your hair, have opinions about various styles, and chat to you, while not appearing to rush. Barbers tend to do standard styles quickly.

But you're right, it's then strange that they give you the same treatment for less because you're a bloke.

You should go in next time and ask for an asymmetric beehive with highlights, to see what that costs.
    I presume a barber has a price list on display whereas a stylist looks at the sort of car one arrives in and charges at a level so as not to offend.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

At the recent Midland and National road relays, in Sutton Park, the men's teams consisted of 6 runners, but the women's teams had 4 runners. Worse still, the women ran a shorter distance, so their £9 per runner fee at the National champs worked out slightly more £/mile than the men's £9 per runner fee.

Another example of sexism in sport is at the Wimbledon tennis championships, where women get paid the same as men, but the women only need to win two sets to win a match, whereas the men need to win three sets. I believe in equal pay for equal work; if the women want to be paid the same as the men, then they should have to play the same number of sets.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

No tins hats on here, at least there shouldn't be. Open dialogue and frank exchange of views
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Another example of sexism in sport is at the Wimbledon tennis championships, where women get paid the same as men, but the women only need to win two sets to win a match, whereas the men need to win three sets. I believe in equal pay for equal work; if the women want to be paid the same as the men, then they should have to play the same number of sets.
    Agreed! And it would make for far more interesting games - endurance would really come into it.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    ... One is comfy and warm with cups of tea and nice decor. Plus they take time on your hair, have opinions about various styles, and chat to you, while not appearing to rush. Barbers tend to do standard styles quickly.
    Not so Sir!

I go to a local village place every three weeks, and have done so over the last 30 years. It's a 'hairdressers' (ahem) not barbers, run my a couple of local farming lasses who I nick-name 'the shearing sister'. The place has lurchers, or other odd assortments of dogs, languishing around, people wearing wellies and overalls (and that's some of the lady customers too). The authentic shabby but not chic - I love it. One of the pair is a local mole-catcher as a side-line, and there are definitely no cups of tea or coffee on offer.

For blokes, especially those with a yearly diminishing barnet like mine, there's effectively only one style on offer, delivered by electric clippers. With a singular style that's eminently helpful when out and about for distinguishing between local residents and grottles.

It takes them about an hour of lavishing their clippers on my hair, and plenty of local gossip and merriment is exchanged. Definitely no Indian head massages here, but I do get to have my head cushioned by a pair of ample bosoms throughout the operation.

Price back in 1990s was £3:00 and recently it's rocketed to a tenner. Worth every penny.

Ladies pay more, but they have a slightly wider choice of styles.
    Am Yisrael Chai