Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rucksack for biking/

Rucksack for biking/

Looking for a rucksack for biking to work , so it won't need that much space but a couple of outer pockets for keys etc would be good. It needs to be water resistant as a minimum.

I would also like to use it for trail runs so it must have chest straps.

Any suggestions please

Re: Rucksack for biking/

You can't beat a proper pannier - a rucksack on the bike will end up giving you neck/back ache. Panniers aren't much use for running mind

What about something like a Northface Megamouth with a built in Hydro Pack? I've got one of these and it's v comfortable for running with. Never tried biking with it.

Are you carrying shoes? They are a nightmare to pack - bulky and they stick into your back

Panniers are easily the best - if you've got a racer you can get P-clips to attach a rack to.

If you want to run with the rucksack then something aimed at a mountain marathon might be best.

Pretty pleased witht the Northface dogfish - it has a hydration pack (ideal for your trail runs) but if you take it out it's roomy enough without being too cumbersome and has the chest straps you require

http://www.gaynors.co.uk/thenorthfac...howprod_015678

Thanks alll. The Megamouth looks a bit expensive (£60) and has a 3l reservoir (18 litres space) which is a bit of overkill. OTH the Dogfish looks too small with only 6 litres of space available.

I had not thought about a panier and yes, shoes might be a problem although I think I will leave them at work with my suit

Either panniers or a messenger bag. I use a medium sized one that will fit clothes, shoes, shopping etc. and can carry a laptop.

The best option for taking clothing to work, including shoes is a saddle bag.

Carradice have a range of sizes up to a sort of expandable Camper long-flap 24L ish (the one I use for work and for the odd multiday euro touring). Not cheap but excellent, some have leather straps like the camper but others have rucksacks type clips.

Carradice also has a quick release/support that fits on the bag and seat tube so very easy to fit/remove bag. Due to fitting to the seat tube should fit 99.99% of bikes. Also means that the weight is carried where the bike is designed to carry weight.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybike View Post
    Thanks alll. The Megamouth looks a bit expensive (£60) and has a 3l reservoir (18 litres space) which is a bit of overkill. OTH the Dogfish looks too small with only 6 litres of space available.

I had not thought about a panier and yes, shoes might be a problem although I think I will leave them at work with my suit
    I paid £45 for the Megamouth, although I think it was priced up wrong in Blacks! You're right about the resovoir being overkill though. Back when I used to run / cycle to work I used to take all my clothes for the week on one day, and then travel light for the rest of the week.

Master and MR

hovis.jpg

ah yes dom those days have long since gone mate
    riding through burton with your basket on your bike