Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumlumon Challenge

Pumlumon Challenge

this is my first post to the forum, so hello all!

is anyone going to the Pumlumon hills this weekend? Do you know any details about the course? any tips most welcome

Re: Pumlumon Challenge

You need Moley for this one. Sorry it's a bit too far to drive for me. (Was tempted though at one time)

thanks anyway! i shouldn't have been worrying though, they have sent a list of check points via email today. it's my first 'event' so excuse the panic!

Mr Mole is the man you want. Alleged to be doing it. Me, not this weekend. Legs still dead after last weeks extravaganza.

Hi Cheese
    I did this event last year and am signed up for Saturday. The checkpoints have been changed slightly from last year and a quick glance at them gives the impression it's going to be a bit tougher (and better) with a couple more summits and also a bit longer. They give out an excellent 1:2500 map at the start with the suggested route marked and even some written advice. Generally speaking if the visibility is ok it shouldn't be too much of a problem and it's a help that for much of the way you can see the walkers ahead of you which acts as a guide. The most awkward stretches are along the Afon Hengwm and after crossing the Afon Hyddgen. In both cases there is actually quite a good path/trod to follow if you get away from the stream/river to the foot of the steeper ground (north side) and then contour along.

See you saturday, thankfully the forecast looks reasonable but the bogs will be well topped up!

See you Saturday, don't worry about the route, Eddie has covered it all and you get a fully marked up map at the start; you shouldn't become seriously lost anywhere, fairly easy to follow + walkers have a 2 hour head start - follow them .
    Slight different course this year, agree harder and more interesting - prefer to go over Drosgol to that horrid bit round the base.
    Only tip, we haven't been well fed previously, plenty of water stops but not much grub en route. So unless things have changed, carry what you need, it isn't like most ldwa events where you can actually put weight on during a 30 mile run
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

fell shoes or trail shoes - My first guess would be fell shoes

With the extra couple of hills + a bit of rain now, I shall wear my Walshes. But I can't run in my lovely new inov8's because they bollox my ankles up - live and learn.

So it's either Walshes or barefoot for me.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

cheers for the tips, i'll take extra fig rolls and hope for good visability, then everything should be alright! one more question.......'survival blanket', can that be foil? or does it mean an orange bivvy bag?

see you there
    Last edited by cheese; 20-09-2007 at 10:55 PM.

I'm taking a foil one
    Last edited by amadablam; 21-09-2007 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling