Thread: average

average

In road-running terms, I quickly realised that talent-wise I'm decidedly average to poor (road stuff typically 10k 48 min; half marathon 1.50ish, 4.10ish marathons), but I'm enthusiastic and bloody-minded which keeps me going. As a climber I fall squarely into the category marked 'bimbler'!

Now this is hardly a new observation, but it's very obvious that at races a simple Darwinian rule applies namely:
    'The smaller the event, the narrower the gener pool' (i.e. the higher the proportion of thin, lanky body types and the stouter I feel).

I'm curious to know whether the distribution between talent and enthusuaism is the same for fell running as on the road or whether there 'average' ability is distincly higher?

BM

Re: average

Errr... don't know. I tend to get more talented the more training I do .
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMonkeys View Post
    I'm curious to know whether the distribution between talent and enthusuaism is the same for fell running as on the road or whether there 'average' ability is distincly higher?

BM
    Of course its the same Brassmonkeys.
    The quickest lad usually wins and the stockier, bigger boned lads similar to the picture in the avatar usually finish towards the back of the field.

The one difference is that at the end hardly anyone discusses the time they ran unless you ask. What the will talk about is the climb, the descent, and the views.
    After the presentation (which I do my best to attend as they have been kind enough to wait for me to finish) there is usually a pub so more discussion on climbs, descents and views can take place.

Like Marg says the only way to improve is to get training and racing.

By the way what is you're next race?

Oh and by the way make you're self know to other forumites at races.
    Thats a Swoop rule.

agree with all that stagger has said

I am incredibly slow and as much as I would like to rectify this by training more as margerine so kindly suggests, between work and home study and various other commitments I really don't have the time to become anything more than below average right now!

BUT it dun't really matter a great deal - fell running is so much more fun than road running so I just enjoy it!

Well said, Stagger. And one of the great things about fell running is that your average runner can stand, literally, shoulder to shoulder with international athletes on the start line and then go for a pint with them after the race.

The only problem with that is that you end up with stud marks all over your back! ( I would anyway !)
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

I'd fall comfortably into the average end of things on the time front but fell running is also for the experience and challenge and incredible terrain in my opinion; never mind the time and whether I'm in a race or not.

That said there's nothing like attending a fell race - I've always felt a bit of a freak what with all my solo runs and the dales and lakes over the last few years. Attending the Borrowdale though in August came as a fantastic surprise...

I still felt like a freak but I felt totally at home ....... among my fellow freaks