Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sack Weights.

Sack Weights.

wanting to get some training in for MM event. How heavy, roughly, should I looking at making my sac for some decent training. Its first time at MM and I dont have all the kit, so cant bung it in yet as Im lending some and buying some new.

cheers

Re: Scack Weights.

thats meant to be sack, sorry

Joliver Jim

Fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    thats meant to be sack, sorry

Re: Sack Weights.

Worried for a minute? Weighing down your sac could be kind of painful.

My sacK usually weighs around 6kgs. Was gonna do a similar thing for training and just get some leg weights and take the weights out and put them in my hydration pack so the weight would be roughly same. Never got round to it but the idea was there.

Decided the weight on my back is the least of my worries. Miles in my legs was my main concern. You sort of forget you are lugging round the weight on your back after a while until you stop at overnight camp and take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Joliver Jim View Post
    Fixed!
    thankyou, tried to change it myelf but couldnt for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Worried for a minute? Weighing down your sac could be kind of painful.

My sacK usually weighs around 6kgs. Was gonna do a similar thing for training and just get some leg weights and take the weights out and put them in my hydration pack so the weight would be roughly same. Never got round to it but the idea was there.

Decided the weight on my back is the least of my worries. Miles in my legs was my main concern. You sort of forget you are lugging round the weight on your back after a while until you stop at overnight camp and take it off.
    cheers, went out this morning and just shoved a load of spare training stuff in sack, but will try 6kgs next time, cheers

I reckon 6kg is about the most you should be carrying. I aim for around 5kg, but I'm sure if Ifor reads this he'll say that should be the combined weight for 2 team members!

I personally find weight isn't enough and I need to fill the sack a bit to get the required MM effect. So I normally put my sleeping bag and tent in the sack aswell so the weight is spread better.

I think you should train with about what you will start off with on the Saturday. maybe take a run or two to build ut to this though. This should be as little as possible of course but that will cost of course. 5 kg is getting there idealy you want to be under 4... I always used to use water for the weight with an old sleeping bag for padding. You are looking at somthing like 3 ot 4 litres. The advantage of water is that if you realy start suffering on your first trip out with it it's easy to dump some...

Ifor

The advantage of water is that if you realy start suffering on your first trip out with it it's easy to dump some...
    Take note very good advice

It can be an idea to train with a more weight than you expect to carry (not too much more just a few kilos) will help your legs on the climbs and you'll feel light on race day.

Bill