Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Windgather

Re: Windgather

Great race... not sure if I'll get there this year, but highly recommended.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Cracking race this one. Especially if the weather's fine. One of my favourites. Year before last was a battle along (the long, long) ridge to Shining Tor in the clag and wind. Last hill after crossing the Goyt road is runnable - just - if you've not gone off too fast. Might be guiding my wife round this year - her first fell race - if the weather's decent.

Mmm. Debating. Way off fitness, hardly run since the Ben race. Could be a beasting, but maybe I need to drop in at the deep end.

Might see you all there. A few years since I last ran this, hardly remember the route but I do remember the long trog along the flagstones.

Master

Hope to get a pass out. Did it in trail shoes (MizunoWH) lasy year and was thankful on the slabs on the long ridge, and although I did fall over on the descent from Shining and skin my knee, I put that down to being tired and losing eye-foot co-ordination rather than the choice of footwear. Definitely one to pace the first half as others have said.

I've decided to give this a miss now.

I think I've been over-doing it a bit recently for my personal fitness levels. I did about 12k last night and today I can hardly walk - that's just not right.
    I'm going to take it easy for a bit.

We might well take the family for a walk in the Goyt Valley, so if we see you lot streaming past we'll be the family cheering you all on!

I shall be taking part - first race of a decent distance and with little local knowledge. I have a map though!

It's been raining hard all day today (in case you hadn't noticed). Expect it to be soft underfoot tomorrow!

Please try to arrive early and watch for the parking attendants who will direct you.

There will be a slight diversion to the course. This is due to a fallen tree on the higher path along the side of Fernilee. We'll be taking the lower path then going up the steps. It will be announced at the start and marshaled to remind you. It's only a small diversion - but just a bit quicker - chance of a PB!

See you there.

Ooooofffffff my legs felt that after a week of hard winter miles. Lovely route, apart from the never ending flagstones, which may be the most attritional section of any fell race I've run so far!

Thanks to the organisers and especially the marshals for standing around in pretty damp conditions.

Master

Yes, a brutal treat once again. Thanks to organisers and marshalls and water stations (saved the sipping from muddy streams). I think my 25.2 BMI was near optimal as ballast against the wind on the ridge but did let me down on the final climb up Berry Clough. 7 minutes slower than last year, but a few of you I spoke to after also had slowish runs, and I did seem to be more or less with the usual companions. Including Max (Retford) - good to see you again Max, and to return the IOU from Coombs Tor to you and Steve.
    Last edited by OB1; 09-10-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Retford IOU

Agreed with the above posts, found that pretty tough today. I particularly struggled going up the flagstones-y section too (the wind didn't help).

I have considerable respect for the guy who'd apparently had awful blisters and finished the race with one shoe on! Surely there's a spot-prize heading his way...

And, of course, another 'thank you' to all the marshals etc!