Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compliments on the fells

Compliments on the fells

Yesterday I was just finishing off the Coledale Horseshoe and just below the top of Barrow I passed* a couple of walkers, we exchanged pleasantries then one asked if I was fellrunner. I gasped out what I hoped was a modest reply and he said "Well, I take my hat off to you"

Now I haven't been fellrunning for long so for all I know this sort of thing may happen all the time, so I'd like to ask the question, and perhaps expand it a little "Has someone who isn't a fellrunner ever given you any sort of a compliment when you've met whilst out running?"

*I should add that there was plenty of time for the exchange to take place because I was passing them only very, very slowly.
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Re: Compliments on the fells

Whilst running up Ingleborough from Gaping Gill side a couple of us trotted past a group of walkers about 3/4 way up on the stone steps and as we went past a womans voice in a yanky drawl shreiked 'O my God, how do they do that'. We carried on regardless but I remember thinking - well, lose 5 stone and do some training love and you never know!!

Lol Acy.
    i was running from Dufton on the Pennine Way up to Great Dun Fell. i mat two fellas doing the PW. They asked how long it'd taken me from Dufton and it'd taken me exactly half the time they had. 'Well , you must be bloody fit' remarked one. I explained that i loved running through nice areas as much as walking through them. Such pleasantries make the world spin a bit easier.

Lol Ady!!

I have heard people lots of times saying things an yes complimentary ooo how do you do it, ooo you must be mad ooo its better going this way than that but usually "Look - it's a girl!!"

yeah No sh*t Sherlock!!

Walk/running the Fairfield Horsehoe earlier this year with my wife, we passed a walker who said 'take my hat off to you it's hard enough walking this!' and last weekend an older couple asked if I was bionic when I paused for a breather/chat whilst on the Windgather route, certainly didn't feel bionic at the time!!

I do make the effort to smile or say hello to walkers who do, on the whole, return the compliment even if do look at me as if I am mad

I was approaching the top of Helvellyn having come up from Wythburn church when three fit looking birds appeared out of the mist. They looked at me in amazement and said 'Have you run all the way up'. Actually on any steep bits i was barely above walking pace but i didnt tell them that

The only time my cheery greeting got absolutely no response was when I was running down from the Old Man of Coniston. I passed 3 blokes near the bottom and was totally ignored. It just happened that then I had to go back uphill a ways to get onto a footpath to take me to Coniston and, you've guessed it, I passed them again, so I said hello again, still no response. But as I passed I saw one of them turn to his mates with a look that definitely said "Bloody Hell, he's going back up!

If only I could!
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

I often sit and chat to the ramblers up at Top Withins when I manage to haul myself out for a run. Often exchange pleasantries, unless they are American in which case they are usually too busy stuffing 'genuiyne Bronte bricks from Top Withins' into their rucksacs.
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

I was at the Gate of the Sun at Machu Picchu chatting to some Leeds University students who were just finishing the 4 days/ 3 nights Inca Trail.

They were exultant.

They then noticed a 70+ years woman with a walking stick just ahead of them at the Gate looking down on Machu Picchu and they were stunned into silence.

Guess they did not realise she had arrived by train to the bottom and then come up most of the way by coach!

The fact that they had to ask if you were a runner could be interpreted as being the opposite of a compliment!!