Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Recovery........

Re: Long Distance Recovery....

Quote Originally Posted by Hollingworth tortoise View Post
    As unpleasant (especially in winter) as cold baths seem, lots of evidence to support the use of them. Paula Radcliffe, lots of rugby teams etc. Has the same effect as an ice pack on an injury.
    what so do I go for one now or do you mean post exercise I presume not sure I fancy it to be honest would a sauna not do the same thing?

guess not but it's worth a shot

No, not now.

It's debateable how much help they give.

Supposeldy the benefits are more for elite atheletes like Paula than for the more 'normal' runners.

Anyway I still reckon they are a benefit. But straight after, and only if I have the guts to face it. Which I rarely do as I'm incredibly soft when it comes to cold water.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    No, not now.

It's debateable how much help they give.

Supposeldy the benefits are more for elite atheletes like Paula than for the more 'normal' runners.

Anyway I still reckon they are a benefit. But straight after, and only if I have the guts to face it. Which I rarely do as I'm incredibly soft when it comes to cold water.
    Phew!!

I've sat in a few freezing cold streams straight after races/runs etc and yes I think they helped.

I'm thinking amputation may help today though ouch!

IainR is right, cold baths/ice pack only good in first 24 hours, to help prevent swelling. After 48 hours heat can be used to improve blood flow to area. My legs still sore from Gt Whernside only walking at the moment!

IainR is right, cold baths/ice pack only good in first 24 hours, to help prevent swelling. After 48 hours heat can be used to improve blood flow to area. My legs still sore from Gt Whernside only walking at the moment!
    Thanks HT - a sauna it is

Personally I think a long time on your feet (like 6hr +) does have a different effect to short hard races, I often found joints would ache, not just the muscles. Obviously the more you train for long stuff the easier it becomes and quicker the recovery - and vice-versa.
    Just be prepared to feel a bit 'flat' for a week or so - don't beat yourself up about it if you lose speed for a while, there is nothing wrong with you, your body is still recovering and re-fueling.
    Only other thing to bear in mind you could be susceptible to injury, if you suddenly develope a 'niggle' - it's a warning sign

Don't like to sound thick ...... but what's DOMS stand for?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

Moley I agree - my knees ache too, can definately feel it on my shins but thanks for the advice re the 'flatness' I'm washed out completely today feel REALLY tired.

just not sure if a swim/cycle should be donw to lift the tiredness or wether to just have a day off?

I always seem to run well on the roads two days after a lake district fell race, but I struggle to climb stairs. Is this becuase you use totally different muscle groups when climbing/running in the lakes.

Tiredness sort of hits me later in the week on a Wednesday after a weekend race.

I'd certainly go along with the idea of a cold stream straight after a run - I've spent many a minute in the icy waters of the River Sett in Hayfield.

And I'm not surprised your legs are sore, Mr. Tortoise, you had a superb run at Gt. Whernside - well done! (Certainly nothing like a tortoise.) Congratulations on becoming this year's Pennine FR Champion! Just hope you show the same form in the relays on Saturday (shame you weren't with us last weekend, too).

I read some research from Australia recently on the cold baths as done by Radcliffe etc which suggested that they didn't really do anything. I'll have a dig around later and see if I can find it.

edit,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6287210.stm