Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultradistance Training

Re: Ultradistance Training

[quote=emmilou;71779]

I relied on the NOYH bon bon/date concoction and plenty of fluids but am wondering if this is enough for anything more????

quote]

What flvaour bon bon powder did you use emmi?
    I find the fruit flavours are better than the toffee ones. Plus you get closer to your 5 a day using lemon or strawb bon bons.

No seriously, did you find that you got sick of them after a good few hours, I find that happens towards the end of a race.

See you soon
    jamie

Hows this for an inspiring story

Never heard of this guy till yesterday

http://www.my-inspirational-quotes.c...ires-a-nation/

All good stuff. Personally i didn't change socks but if you have support i think it's a good morale booster. Would have been useful on this years Lyke Wake as the mud collected under my arch and i had to stop a few times to empty out my shoes of the build up.
    Emmilou: Here are sites that i've found useful
    www.extremeultrarunning.com
    www.movinshoes.com
    www.ultrunr.com
    www.slb-coaching.com
    www.runnersweb.com
    www.halhigdon.com/ultramarathon
    www.williamsichel.co.uk
    www.runfurther.com
    www.ultrarunning.com
    The Don Allison book is great as is Noakes Lore of running.noakes gives a few programmes for The Comrades which is a similar distance to yours. Some inspirational stories too. Hope this proves useful.

Another thought , you don't tend to notice small pains like the blister pain , later on in a race as everything else seems to mask that pain. I totally endorse having Anti Inflammatories as a backup but not to take as a matter of course. There's quite a long article on this in Don Allisons book (The Definitive guide to Ultrarunning) .
    As for food , it's what you'll actually eat , which after hours of running for me is anything!! I love my roast spuds heavily salted but any good source of carbs will do.
    Being a sweaty runner i take a small sponge which i can carry easily and wipe away sweat or use to douse myself down.
    One thing i often find hard is the interrupted/odd sleep patterns after a really hard run, which may affect recovery for a following day run. Use of booze is needed i think!!

Thanks for the info Alf! I quite agree on the alcohol induced sleep - is there any other way?!!

[quote=NotOnUrHelly;71990]
    Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post

I relied on the NOYH bon bon/date concoction and plenty of fluids but am wondering if this is enough for anything more????

quote]

What flvaour bon bon powder did you use emmi?
    I find the fruit flavours are better than the toffee ones. Plus you get closer to your 5 a day using lemon or strawb bon bons.

No seriously, did you find that you got sick of them after a good few hours, I find that happens towards the end of a race.

See you soon
    jamie
    sorry jamie missed this

er i used the lemon flavour ones - not sure I got sick of them to be honest wasn't so keen on the warm mushed dates though after 6 hours of carrying them in a sweaty little plastic bag but they seemed to do the job!!

Lol emmilou, i'm sure they're other ways of falling asleep but i reckon i'd be too tired to try them out!! I tried counting sheep but as i'd been looking at them all day etc. Out of interest what is your 50 miler? Rotherham?

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    Lol emmilou, i'm sure they're other ways of falling asleep but i reckon i'd be too tired to try them out!! I tried counting sheep but as i'd been looking at them all day etc. Out of interest what is your 50 miler? Rotherham?
    yeah it is - but I'm interested in this april one you post of.

maybe we should go for a jolly round an about eat cake and have a chat about it!!

Sounds like fun. I'm doing Rombalds Stride in Feb and probably Trollers trot in March or Wuthering Hike. Forgot 9 standards Fell Race on New Years day.

If the Hobbly Hike is going ahead!!!!