Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ultradistance Training

Re: Ultradistance Training

Quote Originally Posted by mxhornet View Post
    I go with the back to back 4 hours or so runs once a month as prep for 50 miles / 100k
    I just did a 100k road race, perfectly flat and due to late notice couldn't really change my training. I basically trained as normal, 50-60 mile weeks, did the High Peak Marathon 3 weeks earlier, a few 5-8 hr runs in the hills and weekly 10-13 mile road runs and felt OK.

I finished in 7:49, but my second 50k was 4:05, compared to 3:45 for the first 50k. 10k splits of 43-49 mins. Where I felt I lacked was conditioning in the legs for running on the roads, by 70k my quads and feet were getting sore. Fitness/stamina wise I felt strong, strode out the final k to gain a place.

I'd say I'm in a worse state post race than most who raced due to my legs just not being conditioned to the terrain, although on the day performance
    I held me own (11th in a strong international field).

I was pleasing to know the old time on the feet training worked, but with more specific training I think it could have been a more enjoyable day out..well as much as 50 x 2 k loops can be..

Master

There is some great info here,but obviously non is definitive. One of the questions I dont really see answered is about the debate of distance versus ascent. I have heard that for big hilly ultras, such as PBR etc that it is better to do 10,000 feet per week of climbing than just sheer milage. I have a friend who is on 90 miles per week and I think forumite Steve S also does vaste distances but apart from being obviously very fit, will that alone translate into all the up and down hill needed for a PBR or something similar. I am currently having a year out and doing 3.5 miles per week (not good ultra prep. Come October when I start PBR training I,d like to think I can put the ultimate plan into action!!
    Any views on climbing v distance?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    There is some great info here,but obviously non is definitive. One of the questions I dont really see answered is about the debate of distance versus ascent. I have heard that for big hilly ultras, such as PBR etc that it is better to do 10,000 feet per week of climbing than just sheer milage. I have a friend who is on 90 miles per week and I think forumite Steve S also does vaste distances but apart from being obviously very fit, will that alone translate into all the up and down hill needed for a PBR or something similar. I am currently having a year out and doing 3.5 miles per week (not good ultra prep. Come October when I start PBR training I,d like to think I can put the ultimate plan into action!!
    Any views on climbing v distance?
    Have a look at, I think, Long Distance Challenges section and '10,000ft per week' and something like 'Standard needed for BGR' threads. More good info, debate etc there iirc.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Have a look at, I think, Long Distance Challenges section and '10,000ft per week' and something like 'Standard needed for BGR' threads. More good info, debate etc there iirc.
    I think the PBR is all about walking up hills and being 'hill fit'. Loads and loads of fell running, not just hills, specific training in the fells. The pace is slow, the main thing is having legs used to going up and down hills all day and managing to trot now and again.

I did my PBR off 40 mile weeks and 10,000 ft a week but almost all runs were in the fells.

Master

Ian

Thats how I did my BGR also which is relatively low mileage compared with many marathon runners I know who are on 75 plus with no hills. Do you think that the fell based ultras are very different from other flatter ultras and there fore require a different approach to training that tends not to be in the 'How to run an ultra' literature referenced in much of this thread?

Very much so. If you don't live in an area where fell running a lot is an option then being as fit as possible is the key, so just miles and miles may work, but I do think that just banging out big hill days will put you in the best shape to complete. I've done longer trail ultra's where I end up desperate for the hills because I know I'll pull away from those around me once we hit the steep terrain whereas I'm just not a good enough flat runner to keep going on the flat.

The BGR's etc are also not really runs as such anyway. Lets face it we only run the downhills and the occassional flat section (which is pretty rare on the PBR), whereas a good 2 thirds of our time is probably spent walking up hills (I've not actually worked it out but it must be a good chunk over 50%). Therefore I think it's worth spending a good 50% of your time ding specific training, i.e. walking at pace up the hills again and again.

Master

Thanks for that Ian, you have confirmed what I was thinking despite reading all of the 'How to run an Ultra' web sites. I guess as from October next its a case of getting over to wales as often as I can. I seem to remeber conversing with you b4 about the PBR, unfortunately I failed last year with sore knees on leg 2 (Hebog) which I find for some reason the most difficult of all legs to keep to time in despite all the walking up hill. From hebog onwards I lost an hour negotiating Y Gwym and trum y ddysgl.

regards

Simon

Hebog's OK if you get the lines right, especially early on and even after Hebog there's a few lines, actually back on yourself that can save time off the summits. Gyrn can cause trouble too, I just stuck to the LHS of the wall until quite high up.

I was reading a thread today that reckoned for a sub 24 hr BGR you run for approximately 6 hrs.

Have you considered poles? These seem to be increasingly used. Steve Birkinshaw was talking about using them on his lakes 24 record.