Thread: Brecon Beacons/Black Mountain

Brecon Beacons/Black Mountain

Just moved to South Wales from the Peak area, and trying to find some good training runs to have a go at. I noticed these as being two of the longer races in the area, and I was wondering if anyone knows the courses for them?

Cheers!

Re: Brecon Beacons/Black Mount

Its all here:
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...black+mountain

Of the two, Black mountains is the better. The Beacons race is not such a pure route as it has a road section but is good test of endurance. The shorter races around the beacons are cracking...Pen Y Fan right up there with the best in the country. Try searching in this section. MDC have tuesday evening runs throughout the summer. There is a summer and Winter league. Winter league just kicked off. Enjoy!
    Main clubs in the area include MDC, Mynydd Ddu, Brycheiniog, Brecon, Sarn Helen. Where are you living?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Just moved to Swansea, thanks a lot for the link, I saw the thread about the South Wales winter series, I think I might have to get involved!

Living in Swansea, you need to get yourself up to the Black Mountain aka Carmarthen Fan. That is the promised land. You can park up the Swansea valley at somewhere like Dan yr Ogof and go for an excellent wild run round the south side of the Black Mountain to the westernmost 2000-er (Carreg Lwyd), then back over the other 2000-ers on the Black Mountain (Picws Du, Fan Brycheniog, Fan Hir etc.) back to the car. That is a totally, totally brilliant run. It is something like 18-20 miles.

From a pure running perspective, you shouldn't regret coming to South Wales from The Peak. I know where I'd rather run.

And some of the Mynydd Du (not to be confused with MDC) are pretty damn good fell runners (as well as being nice guys).

The Llanbedr - Blaenavon is as good or better than the other two long races you mention.

And then, of course, you will be ready for the greatest non-race in existence....Trans Fan. A brilliant test of sinew and muscle, this goes from Llanddeusant to Carreg yr Ogof, over the Camarthen Fan, on over Fan Gihirych (a real laugh..never fails to bring a tear to my eye!), Fan Nedd, Fan Llia, Fan fawr and Pen Y Fan, to finish in the calm of Cwm Llwch. A group of runners revisit this old race route every August to celebrate its demise and keep the flame burning and there is an unofficial 'trophy' which resides with the 'winner' until the next year. Anything under 5 hours is a good time.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Zlod: Thanks for the info, I did something very similar to what you describe last weekend - I was impressed by how quiet the black mountain was, the only time I've been there before was for the 04 KIMM when it was unsurprisingly rather busy! Is Mynnydd Du my most local club now do you reckon?

Wheeze: Sounds awesome, any idea of a distance?

Mynydd Du or MDC are both local clubs to you. Mynydd Du are a strong club and travel to all the Lakeland Classic Races, British Championship Races ect. We meet most weekends in the Brecons or the Black Mountains ect. Plenty of regular trips to N Wales and the Lakes as well See the club web site. As you may of guessed i am a member of Mynydd Du! We are all away this weekend at the FRA Relays. Cheers