Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety in solo runs?

Safety in solo runs?

Hi all,

Sure this has been asked before but couldn't find it in a quick search of the forum.

As nights are now dark and the head torches are coming out I wanted to know what others do for safety when running on your own? As a first year fell runner this issue has never really come up before but my Myo XP is on order and I am itching for a few good long night runs.

Do you let others know where you are running? Full route or just general area? Do you stick to lower level stuff? Do you never run nights solo?

I have never really told anyone where I will be running or when I will be back but always been not too far from general walkers. Now the good weather walkers are thinning out and in night time you are on your tod up there so what is considered good practice?

Also, say I didn't report back to base (the wife) is first call (after trying my mobile) to mountain rescue or police or both?

Any suggestions grateful as otherwise I will get grounded from the wife

Re: Saftey in solo runs?

For the MRT team she should call the police then ask for MRT. They alert the MRT teams and I think coordinate them.

I'd let the wife know, just out of interest from her, but TBH we'd rarely run alone at night, but sometimes do. More often when caught out at night.

I'd normally just say the hill as I rarely run the route I plan.

EDIT: Thinking about it when running solo it's more I change how I run than anything else. I'd pick safe routes, go slow on unstable scree etc. Uphill on decent paths at night then your pace won't be that different, but on unstable/tussocky ground you have to be that bit more careful at night, even more so on your own.

I'd also make sure I carried a bit more gear, petzl elite as a spare torch, jacket etc, where as with a group I'd be more inclined to run with a bare minimum.
    Last edited by IainR; 10-10-2007 at 10:51 PM.

I do run solo occasionally in the dark but on routes I know well with head torch and some one always know where I've gone and when I will be back. I do carry a bit more kit and my mobile. Lucky for me I have a number of friends who run who live very near so this doesn't crop up often.

Night naving is great fun but unless you are very competant I wouldn't recomend it with out doing it in a group first. What about your local Club?

Re Mountain Rescue you dial 999 and ask for Mountain Rescue the police should be informed automatically.

Where do you live AJF?
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 10-10-2007 at 10:47 PM.

I get a bit scared of the dark sometimes. Don't laugh. Can be pretty spooky on Bleaklow this time of year.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I just tell wife general area I'll be in as I'll often change route depending on conditions, regarding MRT if I'm not back in the morning she can call them

I mostly run on my own as no one in West Cumbria seems up for it but this could change this winter

I carry slightly more gear and slightly heavier eg a proper breathable waterproof top rather than lightweight stuff and a spare torch.

Also take more time on descents and crossing greasy rocks.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I get a bit scared of the dark sometimes. Don't laugh. Can be pretty spooky on Bleaklow this time of year.
    I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glorious Twelth
    August 12 marks the start of the grouse shooting season. Throughout this period shooters from all over the world head for Bleaklow. The season lasts from August 12 to December 10.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Re: Safety in solo runs?

If I'm out by myself I have my headtorch and run routes that I know well. The only time I ever have any problems is when I'm running through wooded areas as they are a lot darker than anywhere else. Also for some reason where I live there is frequently no moon

We've got one of those white-boards in the kitchen and I just scribble down a brief route description and ETA back home eg. Cracken Edge>South Head>Brown Knoll>South Head>Home (2030). I'll take extra kit including a survival bag/a mars bar and my wife knows to call MR if I'm 2 hours late and she can't get me on my mobile... also I have the dog with me most times so he could alert MR Lassie style!

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    We've got one of those white-boards in the kitchen and I just scribble down a brief route description and ETA back home eg. Cracken Edge>South Head>Brown Knoll>South Head>Home (2030). I'll take extra kit including a survival bag/a mars bar and my wife knows to call MR if I'm 2 hours late and she can't get me on my mobile... also I have the dog with me most times so he could alert MR Lassie style!
    woof woof- woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof

Whats that you say Skip? Nikalas is stuck in a bog on Brown Knoll and needs a helicopter to pull him out so he can be back for last orders

woof woof- woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof

of course we'll come and get him straight away! .

woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof

and he's feeling dog tired a little ruff.

more likely he'd bugger off home wanting his dinner and then go to sleep... wife would probably be happy to have a quiet evening in on her own without a boggy mud-man appearing... maybe I should start taking a tent!