Thread: tiger tor

tiger tor

Hi my name is Paul

I am looking to have a go at fell running and thought about doing the tigger tor as a first event

Would this be a good event

Cheers

Paul:

Re: tiger tor

Hiya,

Might be ok depending on how well you've got on with the training.

I was considering exactly the same this time last year. I'm quite glad that I picked up an injury before the event because I think it is a bit tougher than I'd first thought.

It's not particularly hilly, but some of the terrain is very rough and a lot of it isn't runnable for an idiot like me (for example, Houndkirk Hill isn't steep but it is covered in heather/bracken and there are lots of hidden holes to fall in, as I have done many times).

If you're ok at running over rough terrain though, give it a whirl. I'd mentally add another 50% to the distance (this seems to be a good rule of thumb) so its going to feel like 15 miles.

There are plenty of other races that are perhaps hillier but less technical (sorry, I don't have any suggestions!)

One plus is that there is a huge field so there'll be plenty of people to follow.

(there's another thread on the race somewhere on the forum too that you might find helpful).

Good luck if you give it a go!

(by the way, my first actual race turned out to be the Trunce in March, only 4 miles and I'm glad I started small. It's a great series of races). http://www.trunce.org.uk/

The Tiger's Todger in May from the same venue is a much easier race than Tigger Tor but I guess that's too long to wait!

Cheers RICHK

The trunce looks like a good place to start

Being struggling myself with injury ended up at docs today looks like a patella tendon injury prescribed two weeks rest and pain killers

Thanks again

Paul

Last years Tigger Tor was my first 'proper' fell race , after doing a number of half marathons. I really struggled with the terrain and cramped up with about 3 miles to go. Having done a number of races since then I would consider it a bad choice for a first fell race.

More to the point I reccied it last weekend with a few other Dark Peakers and the general consensus is that the new route is much harder this year.
    'Too much sitting is ruining my body'

Think I'll leave it till next year, need to get out into peak more first, looking at running with Totley AC on Sundays and seeing how it goes once knee is up to it

good race have done a few times but the terrain can be a bit rough for sumone who is not use to it mybe see you there next year

hope so