Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Flower Scar

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Entries open tomorrow online!

Just read it's a fully flagged route, which is a shame, this is a fell race. is it not?
    Its a cut down route as well by the sound of it so I will leave it to the faster folk this year and do the Pendle race instead
    No country for old men.

I fail to see why the route being flagged is a problem. Is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    I fail to see why the route being flagged is a problem. Is it just me?
    Because it is a fell race, not a trail or road race, therefore some areas of navigation should be present or at least some element of having to think where you are actually running too!

Alright, due to the numbers that will probably attend this race and the relative shortness in distance there will be a long line of runners to follow, but that isn't the point.

I believe that a Fell champs race should aim to test all areas of fell running. I accept some areas need to be flagged over access areas or farmers fields, but to flag the whole route just reduces the enjoyment and experience for me.

Fair point well made Hursty

Is there any particular reason why this route is flagged ? Is it normally ie non champ ?

Banned
    Hardly any flags last year because a certain CV local lad was away in the wrong direction, leaving Mr Gray and Mr Bailey to take the 1&2.

Is it flagged because some of the champs people struggle with Navigation (see Ireland results next year)

I thought I remembered a directive from the FRA to race organisers a few years back not to describe a route as fully flagged but partly marked

It's a good few years since I did Flower Scar, back then you started on the school playing field then after 100 yards there were straw bales to help you climb over a stone wall, I guess that would cause a bit of a bottle neck in a championship race

The race website http://www.todharriers.co.uk/flower-scar-fell-race/ states the race is "partially flagged" - see extract below. Have I missed something?

"The Flower Scar Fell Race will be a counter in the 2015 FRA English Championship and also the 2015 Yorkshire Championship for seniors and u23′s.

As a consequence of this the date (Sat 7th March) is a week later than usual. The course has been changedto a Cat AS (instead of the usual AM – please see map below). There will be separate men’s and women’s start time’s.
    This is a gem of a race with steep climbs, rough moor, forest trail and fast paths, typifying all that’s best about South Pennine fell running. Starting close to Todmorden town centre, this race will take you to the parts of Tod that other races don’t reach, for this year the route will be partially flagged."

Si entries says fully flagged anyway at what point does partially flagged become fully flagged ?

Looking at the map I guess its flagged due to the many different paths in the area and its proximity to the urban areas. Removing the navigational challenges will encourage a faster paced race, which is more in the spirit of a short race.

Weren't routes flagged at the Sheperd's meets in the 50s?