Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV New Series Edge of Enduranc

TV New Series Edge of Enduranc

Starts Monday at 9pm on 4 . No doubt an hour later on Channel 4 + 1.
    First one is The Beckoning Silence;Joe Simpson

undercover moderator

Re: TV New Series Edge of Endu

Well I thought that was stunningly good.

I asked on the old forum if anyone knew where I could get a decent sized pic of the Eiger nordwand, similar to the cover of the White Spider. Anyone found one yet?

I think I saw a trailer for one of the next ones in this series, telling Donald Crowhurst's story. I occasionally wonder if there are similar BG contenders, endlessly circling Scoat Fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I asked on the old forum if anyone knew where I could get a decent sized pic of the Eiger nordwand, similar to the cover of the White Spider. Anyone found one yet?
    Makes SMOTS seem like a real bargain!

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Makes SMOTS seem like a real bargain!
    I like their little dropdown box to let you select quantity.

If you go for nine, I woner how long it takes to run up a few more signatures.....

Yes. very good programme. When i'd read White Spider , the account of the Hinterstoisser Group really hit home.
    One small criticism was i couldn't really see why Joe Simpson was climbing on various bits of the Eiger, I didn't really see the point.
    There was another good programme on the successful Harrer attempt :Climbing for the Fatherland.

I think the reason why they had Joe Simpson climbing bits - was that they were attempting to copy the book - but I agree it didn't work - in the book we was really trying to climb the Eiger - you can't really pretend.

I've a mate who has a first edition of 'The White Spider' - unfortunately it's not signed by either Harrer or Heckmair. At present he's Corbett bagging in Scotland but when he gets back and sees the price he might be tempted to put it on ebay!

I thought it was a stonkin' program - I've got The White Spider and it's a great read but I thought the program really did it justice.

I didn't think Joe Simpson added much apart from the bit where he stepped out of the railway tunnel straight onto the N. face. Awesome or what!

I think I've also got the book about the first lone sailor around the world or whatever it was - the one featuring Donald Crowhurst - so if that's a future episode I'll be watching that one as well.

fb

It was a good programme spoiled a little by cuts back to the touching the void(that stands by its self)
    Toni Kurz was/is a hero of mine from when I was a kid many years ago....

I have read the 'White Spider' but prefered the other book of the day Eiger 'Wall of Death' by Roth (I think) no mention of this any where but well worth a read.

The programme cleared up a few questions for me as I'd always wondered why they couldn't rescue Toni Kurz if he was dangling just outside the tunnel window as I had pictured him like Clint Eastwood in the Eiger Sanction. Also just how smooth was the Hinterstoisser Traverse. Now I know. So there was some point in Joe Simpson going out on the face. Surely the re-enactment team weren't actually on the Nordwand itself.

By the way how would we go about rescuing Kurz today? Have we got the paraphernalia?
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"