Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tigger Tor

Re: Tigger Tor

Rich, how did the run go today, other than the pig's breakfast bit? Any weather?

Thanks for all this - I should learn to read fine detail!
    if you havene't tried oreinteering you should! Avoid woodland events (unless you just want to have some fun! Moorland events would be of significant benefit to most fell runners (just look at the high placed orienteers in the KIMM/OMM). You can enter any course at a C4/C5 event. Here is the fixture list:
    http://www.britishorienteering.org.u...s/fixtures.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Rich, how did the run go today, other than the pig's breakfast bit? Any weather?

Not great Marvin, because I only had a half hour to spare so I decided to just try Fell Gate - Burbage Moor. Got hopelessly "lost" (ie knew where I was, just couldn't find a good run). I got as far as the long fence that divides the moor (I'd forgotten that's there).

Tomorrow will be a bit more extensive!

Thanks for the info Redhead - I'll check that out.

Still haven't had a chance to get out there due to moving house.

Will definitely make it out this weekend.

Orienteering maps sound useful, is it possible for non-orienteers to get hold of them?

Several of the checkpoints are the same. I've plotted the route on the digital map and it comes out at 9 miles and 1550ft ascent. This is assuming my picked the best route between the checkpoints. This compares with 10.3 miles and 1850ft ascent last year. At least it doesn't go to any of the summits twice this time.

Would you be able to e-mail me your tracklog after your reccy? Let me know if you want an image of my plot of the route.

Finally got out; delayed due to work and moving house.

My GPS made the distance 7.45 miles from fell gate to stile at the bottom of houndkirk hill and 1505 ft of climbing. My route was certainly not optimal; I lost my way a little over Burbage Moor, went a bit round the houses after Higger Tor and I forgot to switch the watch on on the way to Wynyards.

Add on about 1.8miles and a few feet for the out and return. I reckon about 9.25 miles and 1600ft.

On the whole I think a good route - but tough - and probably an improvement on last year. I really enjoyed it until the approach to Houndkirk Hill - I can't believe such a short distance can be so painful. The snow started to come down and I fell in a deep hidden stream running along the foot of it (up to my waist - my tackle still hasn't recovered). I think I could have taken a better route to it, I'll stay a bit further south next time.

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    Finally got out; delayed due to work and moving house.

My GPS made the distance 7.45 miles from fell gate to stile at the bottom of houndkirk hill and 1505 ft of climbing. My route was certainly not optimal; I lost my way a little over Burbage Moor, went a bit round the houses after Higger Tor and I forgot to switch the watch on on the way to Wynyards.

Add on about 1.8miles and a few feet for the out and return. I reckon about 9.25 miles and 1600ft.

On the whole I think a good route - but tough - and probably an improvement on last year. I really enjoyed it until the approach to Houndkirk Hill - I can't believe such a short distance can be so painful. The snow started to come down and I fell in a deep hidden stream running along the foot of it (up to my waist - my tackle still hasn't recovered). I think I could have taken a better route to it, I'll stay a bit further south next time.
    You picked a good day for it - good prep for the snow next week. We've got a couple of inches of snow here in Whaley Bridge (900ft elevation) now. The children and the dog have had a great time snowballing and are now back in the house thawing out.

On the approach to Houndkirk Hill last year, I kept to the path south of the hill to about 283816 and then turned for top of the hill. The path was wet, but I don't recall any deep water.

You picked a good day for it - good prep for the snow next week. We've got a couple of inches of snow here in Whaley Bridge (900ft elevation) now. The children and the dog have had a great time snowballing and are now back in the house thawing out.

On the approach to Houndkirk Hill last year, I kept to the path south of the hill to about 283816 and then turned for top of the hill. The path was wet, but I don't recall any deep water.
    Gosh, I've never even spotted a path there! I know there's a right of way marked on the OS maps, but I didn't realise it was well trodden. Gah!

Well, I'll know for next week!

If it snows, I shall be under a duvet all day. I am a wimp and I don't care...

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    If it snows, I shall be under a duvet all day. I am a wimp and I don't care...
    Shame on you! It will be much more fun playing out in the snow.

Hi - Marvin - I'm with the Striders but obviosly we havent met!

Me and my fellow Goyt (Steve Berry) are doing Tigor Tor Sunday as our first winter off road race. We have the map all marked out and compasses at the ready but is there any first timer tips you can all give us?

I'm really looking forwards to the experience and just hoping that the snow holds off so we can get cracking

Quote Originally Posted by Egglett View Post
    Hi - Marvin - I'm with the Striders but obviosly we havent met!

Me and my fellow Goyt (Steve Berry) are doing Tigor Tor Sunday as our first winter off road race. We have the map all marked out and compasses at the ready but is there any first timer tips you can all give us?

I'm really looking forwards to the experience and just hoping that the snow holds off so we can get cracking
    I'll look forward to meeting up with you on Sunday. Are you going to be at the Navvy tonight.

My winning tips are:
    1) If there are faster runners in front, follow them when they go the right way
    2) Don't follow them if they go the wrong way - you must go the right way
    3) Run faster than the other runners