Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flags in the peak

Master and MR

flags in the peak

who are responsible for laying those awful stone flags to form paths in the peak district
    take the ones up to shining tor , was the path a serious problem before these was laid and also there are now two more paths forming at each side of the laid flags.
    Ive said my views on these before, i truly think they are an eysore and should be removed
    just wondered who eventually decides on laying them
    is it the peak park , rangers , any idea ??????
    not just crap to run on but walking as well , makes you feel like your on a pavement

Re: flags in the peak

It's the national park.

The ones along the ridge up above Castleton are a bugger to run on and don't look great, but they look a whole lot better that the 30-foot wide eroded scar of a footpath that was there 10 years ago!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
    It's the national park.

The ones along the ridge up above Castleton are a bugger to run on and don't look great, but they look a whole lot better that the 30-foot wide eroded scar of a footpath that was there 10 years ago!

okay okay i will take the point of the great ridge that was well worn but other areas certainly dont have 30ft wide worn paths marty

Not great to run on but the best bit of erosion control I've seen. Remember the 'carpets' on whernside, are they still there? The duck boards on Ingleborugh?

Quite natural looking and will last so I'm in favour. Similar paths are now pretty much the norm where they can be built, look at the new section on Llanberis path?

much better than the old scars which will take years to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    okay okay i will take the point of the great ridge that was well worn but other areas certainly dont have 30ft wide worn paths marty
    But they will do, more and more people are getting out in the hills, the pressure on areas like the Peak and the Lakes is immense and growing.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Not great to run on but the best bit of erosion control I've seen. Remember the 'carpets' on whernside, are they still there? The duck boards on Ingleborugh?

Quite natural looking and will last so I'm in favour. Similar paths are now pretty much the norm where they can be built, look at the new section on Llanberis path?

much better than the old scars which will take years to recover.
    but on shining tor the path is being worn wider by people simply avoiding the flags
    thats a fact

Many paths in West Yorkshire were flagged in the past - many of them now 'historic' causey paths. I think its a sustainable solution to inevitable erosion of popular paths. However it can be jarring to run on thats true.

Slippery in Swoops mind you

20+ years a go I did the pennine way and the route up over Black Hill (soon to be renamed Green Hill) was a hideously wide track and getting to the trig on a wet week was impossible. 15 years? ago this was paved and now it is very hard to spot from a distance with the grass growing close to the slabs. I was very sad when they first did this but now it looks ok.

I'm trying to hold on to this thought as they now start paving from Back Tor to Cartledge rocks along Howden edge. does this path really get that many walkers/runners etc on it or are the NP spending money that they need to use? I hope it looks better in 10 years time.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    20+ years a go I did the pennine way and the route up over Black Hill (soon to be renamed Green Hill) was a hideously wide track and getting to the trig on a wet week was impossible. 15 years? ago this was paved and now it is very hard to spot from a distance with the grass growing close to the slabs. I was very sad when they first did this but now it looks ok.

I'm trying to hold on to this thought as they now start paving from Back Tor to Cartledge rocks along Howden edge. does this path really get that many walkers/runners etc on it or are the NP spending money that they need to use? I hope it looks better in 10 years time.
    im not really knocking it on very heavy routes but will we end up with just loads of these things everywhere