Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

Re: Fellrunner Magazine

Did you boil the eggs and butter the bread ?

Did you buy the wool and the pattern?

I think the BGR is akin to religion. Some people believe it is the path to enlightenment and others think: eh?

Boil them? I laid them, chuck.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    Is someone really having a dig at magazine written by people who give up their time voluntarily to do it? We pay £12 or whatever for our subs, we get awesome magazine, a website, an association that represents fell runnning and so on.

Runners World costs a bit under £4, repeats content about how to run your best London, 10k, great north run every year zzzzzzzzzzz. So just think about the value for money we get!! If you didn't like the articles as much this time then get your best typing hat on and write in with something you do like and you think others might like too!!

And no I didn't write anything for fell runner, just think we should be glad that someone gives up their time to bring us the mag at all!!

I susbscribe to be a member of the fell running association and get the handbook etc. I receive the magazine whether I like it or not. Yes it is good I get a free glossy magazine along with the handbook, but just because it is "free" does not mean it is beyond comment - this implies whatever is in it must be good because it did not cost me much .

Yes it is fantastic that Britta and her team give their time up to do this, however she does ask for comments suggestions and feedback which I will do constructively.

One of my points was the call for more editing yes its good that people write in and even better that you can be printed even though you are not a writer, but that does mean everything is well written. I also found the content layout confusing this time but that just may be me.

I would not want to read what I would write about in Fellrunner and though it would be nice to be printed I am not sure it would be of value or add to the magazine.

I have been receiving the magazine only for about 3 years and I suppose the issue for me is I am not sure who the magazine is for, when I first got it is was a fairly informative and sometimes dry "hobby" journal" aimed at fell running, now its on its way to a glossy chatty "Hello " long distance chalenge magazine, with little process in between. Therefore i am not quite sure what i am meant to be receiving.

Yes you can't please all the people all the time, if you could this forum would close.

Fellhound

I agree with many of the comments and misgivings expressed on this thread. As an FRA member (and Fellrunner reader AND contributor) since 1985 I have seen the mag go through many changes.

Like others above I was also disappointed with the latest issue - there seems to be a growing tendency to move tward the "mainstream" of running with more articles on trail running etc. There were at least 25 pages in this issue that were not about fellrunning as I recognise it. I also share the general boredom with what is now well described as the Bob Graham Industry!!

I think there is interest in the everyday running expoits of our fellow fellrunners - take Stolly's Running Adventures (available on this very forum) it is just accounts of his regular runs (similar to the email reports I do for the Bowland Bat Runs etc). I think Stolly's accounts are quite widely read on here and I find them interesting. Maybe there should be more of this kind of thing in the Fellrunner? The kind of stuff that used to be in a section of the mag called "Experiences of the Run".

I also think there's room for personal accounts of the racing experience (even Burnsall!) but that also seems to be a rarity. Not sure why.

Still, as has been said, if we don't like it we had better get writing!

I have every issue of The Fellrunner and wrote a piece about its development a few years ago. I have had 30 articles published; some were bagatelles, some I am proud of as significant pieces of work. I enjoy writing the Profiles of the people I choose to interview.

Deeko, who knows Angela Mudge, said my recent Profile of her was a “Fantastic article” but YT described my piece as “fawning”. But as the song goes, “...learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself".

I personally read very little towards the back of the magazine-all those long distance pieces- and I just cannot read the stuff published by some regular contributors; but I know that some of these pieces are very much appreciated by others. So I don’t complain.

In a phrase, The Fellrunner is a broad church.

Once an issue has gone to print the Editor starts with blank pages. He/She relies on voluntary contributions coming in for the next issue. Yes, Britta knows there will be stuff from the usual suspects but much of the latest issue was from new sources.

So what is she to do? The Fellrunner is now running at 150 pages and is in full colour. For the last three years of Dave’s reign the magazine averaged just 100 pages and 14% of pages had colour. In effect Britta has expanded the magazine to include the additional contributions. So people who don’t like the stuff at the back can just stop reading at page 100.

In my opinion some of the contributions are badly written, but it is not the role of an unpaid Editor to start redrafting and editing contributor’s work.

I sit on the FRA Committee and the subject of The Fellrunner has recently been discussed. The FRA Committee has the highest regard for the work that Britta does. I suggest that 99% of Forum posters have little idea just how much work goes into editing the magazine.

Britta reads the Forum and she will be interested in any views expressed but as others have said she is reliant on the submissions made to her.

She cannot publish blank pages.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-03-2008 at 10:34 AM.

thats the funny thing about this forum,your all moaning bastards ,no one says you have to read the magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    thats the funny thing about this forum,your all moaning bastards ,no one says you have to read the magazine
    I promise not to moan about it. I just hope my copy arrives some day soon.
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.

I Completely agree with Sherpa and GrahamB.

I just think it's a bit mean spirited to publicly criticise, no matter how constructively, the efforts of someone who is a volunteer doing what must be a pretty time consuming and unpaid job. If you think they are doing something wrong or have a suggestion of how they could improve things then it is surely better and more polite to send a private mail/letter?

No matter how polite and well meaning the criticism may be, it can hurt and get under your skin and make you think "Why the hell should I bother doing this" very quickly. (It did with me once). Of course when you pack the job in, you won't find any of your erstwhile critics taking up the mantle.

If you think you can do a better job then why not keep silent for now and put yourself forward for the editor's job at the next AGM?
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Fellhound

Maybe some people on here need to work on distinguishing between "moaning" and "comment".

To get back to the constructive debate we were having... I agree with what you say Graham and I was not criticising Britta's editorship. It may interest you to know that I was a possible contender for new editor when Dave announced he was standing down but I thought better of standing for election once Dave had explained how much work is involved!!

It is noticeable how the magazine (perhaps the FRA itself) is changing direction though. It is veering gradually away from my idea of 'pure' fellrunning, but perhaps I'm just a grumpy old man who lives in the past.

I remember t'good old days of A5 sized Fellrunners and Walshes wi 'hedgehog' soles.... As for you Graham, you'll probably tell me about Walsh V-ripples and call me a mere whippersnapper!

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post

It is noticeable how the magazine (perhaps the FRA itself) is changing direction though. It is veering gradually away from my idea of 'pure' fellrunning, but perhaps I'm just a grumpy old man who lives in the past.
    In 2002 the FRA had 5000 members and it had reached that level gradually over the previous decades.

Since then there has been a 40% "step change" to 7000 members and it is unimaginable that that will not affect the sport & etc.