Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Re: Fellrunner Magazine

[quote=GrahamB;114107]Well... I don't like much music cut after around '62 (Garden Party was '72) but my Billboard Hot 100 books cover the territory from '55 so that's OK.

RN isn't terribly high on my list of favourites but he had good writers and of course had the wit to hire James Burton for eight years. And only today did I discover that James played lead on Dale Hawkins Susie-Q . Now that was a record. (Checker # 863, Peaked at #27 in Billboard July 1957: 19 weeks on chart).

At last a decent thread, lets talk Rockabilly,Rock n'Roll and early pre Beatle pop (The Beatles and long distance running articles - hmm), I agree nothing much decent was cut after 1962- but if we are going to talk underated guitar heroes how about Joe Brown on the "Sound of Fury".

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by greenleafer View Post
    I do agree with Antisocial's comments about the long distance stuff.

Not that I know much about the purity of fell running. it just seemed a bit well.... long and boring to me.

Guess as others have said there will be people who love it.

But must disagree with the Hello slur. Hello is the root of all evil. I enjoyed all the articles about people.

Angela Mudge and Rob Hope were excellent, as was the Ali and Aly interview. I love hearing people's running stories. How they got into it and how they have trained and done well. Very inspirational.

You will just have to put your money where your mouth is Antisocial and write an article. You could entitle it,

Fellrunners-Grumpy Old Gits -Fact or Fiction?
    Nice one Greenleafer, I think you hit it on the head with your description of the LD articles- no disrespect to LD running.

Perhaps we could do a 2 hander as at 43 I am one of the younger generation, I am guessing you could give a handle the older grumpy git perspective.

I think we should do an article entitled " Brad shags Kerry at Burnsall shock, whilst Angelina away at Himalayan Marathon". How about it?

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Sorry to buck the trend but not overly inpressed with this Fell Runner
    Should it not be call the David Woodhead and pointless long distance challenges magazine, there is not much else in it, the results section is especially limited.

It looks nice but some editing please, less content would be fine if there was more about fell running in it. I realise content depends contributers but you don't need to publish everything you get.

err david i was remarking on this post
    whats the problem ?????
    explain

Quote Originally Posted by greenleafer View Post
    and well done Britta. Think you're doing a great job.
    Couldn't agree more Greenleafer....

..... and keep the long distance stuff coming Britta!

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    err david i was remarking on this post
    whats the problem ?????
    explain
    Oh come on Daz, you were sniping at "a number of people", not just answering that one post.

We are not having a go at Britta here, we are just giving feedback - something that every editor welcomes. It's the only way to gauge general reaction to editorial policy and it can't all be positive!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Oh come on Daz, you were sniping at "a number of people", not just answering that one post.

We are not having a go at Britta here, we are just giving feedback - something that every editor welcomes. It's the only way to gauge general reaction to editorial policy and it can't all be positive!

yet again someone who seems to know what im posting about
    trundler i didnt like the posts from antisocial and johnny foreigner
    the line in antisocials post that reads the magazine looks good but editing required was the bit that made me post on the thread
    if thats not directed at britta i dont know what is
    in fact sod it
    why bother

britta you can only print what is sent in to publish, as previously stated it is impossible to print blank pages.

i value the fra magazine and enjoy reading it.........

...........when murky cloud gives it back to me

An interesting debate. I don't think the "purist" viewpoint is that valid though. The long distance stuff has been an integral part of the fell running scene for decades - just think of Joss Naylor's exploits. If anyone has heard of a fell runner it is probably him. I don't think you can say fell running has ever just been about races.

Personally I think it is a good thing for the FRA to embrace what might be termed fringe interests like the ultra-running championships, mountain marathons and long distance challenges, overseas events. The FRA is the best place for them. They add diversity and that is a strength not a weakness for the future of any organisation.

If the FRA has attracted 2000 more members in the last few years perhaps the reason is partly that they were inspired by hearing about the Bob Graham through Feet in the Clouds. It then makes sense for the magazine to reflect and retain their interest by featuring more long distance stuff. It's already been said that it's an extra in the magazine it's not at the expense of anything else - it's all still there! We have all gained something! I actually recommended to a friend who has not been a member for years to re-join because he would now find the magazine more interesting.

Finally I don't think we should take the magazine for granted. With respect to similar sized organanisations like the LDWA The Fellrunner is in a different class both in terms of production and the quality of articles, which in turn mirrors the greater dynamism of the FRA and it's membership.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    I must try and write some articles
    Would that be an article, some articles, any article or a definite article?

Can we go back to 'black and white' please ? I don't like all these fancy colours.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.