Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

A bumper 170 page epic thudded onto my doormat this morning. Great photos and articles including Digby's Etive Munros round. Well done.

Master
    Another brilliant edition and huge too! Well done all for putting this together.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Another brilliant edition and huge too! Well done all for putting this together.
    It is great and some good articles - such as juggling, etc. But....why do some competitors complete the Withins Skyline race on their knees (see p167 bottom photo) - seems a bit rough.

And does Finlay Wild wear Walshes on one foot and INOV-8s on the other? See photos-ad inside front cover and also p170 Both companies seem to be claiming his allegiance.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I've had the calendar book Just waiting for the mag.

HI all - I am still yet to receive the Autumn or Winter 2017 Fell Runner magazines. Am I right we should receive every one every quarter? Any ideas who I can get in touch with? Many thanks

Yes you should have had it by now, think it is 3 not 4 a year tho.
    Suggest you check with membership sec that you are still a member? Have you moved? Get contact details from last copy or FRA website

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Got mine today. It appears (from comments in that other place, f*c*b**k) that Royal Mail have made a complete foul-up of delivering both the magazine and the calendar/handbook, resulting in a huge amount of extra work for Charmian posting replacement copies to many people like me who have not received one or both of these. So many thanks to Charmian for dealing with the situation efficiently. Apparently, Royal Mail are investigating.

To the magazine itself: I'm totally clueless on the "Name that fell" competition: unidentified pictures on pages 7, 8, 10 (are there any more?). The picture on p.85 will presumably result in an official FRA inquiry: did she fall or was she pushed; things like this don't just happen so conveniently close to a photographer . . . .

Anyway, I look forward to reading the magazine properly, now that I have had my scan through the pictures.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    The 1981 Fixture Calendar reproduced in Graham Breeze's article brought back memories. In particular, I remember getting one of the 25 spot prizes given out at that year's Pendle race to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the race, although I don't remember much about the race itself (and the results are missing from my results archive; there must be someone with a copy of the 1981 Pendle results out there, that they could copy for me?). I also remember the Edale Skyline: running out of steam over Brown Knoll, with the rest of the race being a real struggle to keep going (which is probably why I never did that race again ). But what I hadn't remembered was that Pendle and Edale were on the same weekend (which may explain my difficulties at Edale).

More generally, looking at the 1981 Calendar, I was surprised to see how many Northern Irish races are listed, although most of them were categorised "N", (New). When I had first joined the FRA three years earlier, there was only Slieve Donard in NI. I was also surprised at how few Scottish races were listed (this was before the advent of the SHRA, WFRA and NIMRA, so races throughout the UK would generally be listed).
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    The 1981 Fixture Calendar reproduced in Graham Breeze's article brought back memories. In particular, I remember getting one of the 25 spot prizes given out at that year's Pendle race to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the race, although I don't remember much about the race itself (and the results are missing from my results archive; there must be someone with a copy of the 1981 Pendle results out there, that they could copy for me?). I also remember the Edale Skyline: running out of steam over Brown Knoll, with the rest of the race being a real struggle to keep going (which is probably why I never did that race again ). But what I hadn't remembered was that Pendle and Edale were on the same weekend (which may explain my difficulties at Edale).

More generally, looking at the 1981 Calendar, I was surprised to see how many Northern Irish races are listed, although most of them were categorised "N", (New). When I had first joined the FRA three years earlier, there was only Slieve Donard in NI. I was also surprised at how few Scottish races were listed (this was before the advent of the SHRA, WFRA and NIMRA, so races throughout the UK would generally be listed).

Anthony

Since I am grateful to see I have one reader if you PM me your email address I'll send you a scan of the Fellrunner report but I have to tell you that you aren't listed in the first 20.

John Wild won in 29.27 of 424 runners. (yes 424) .

Graham
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Anthony

Since I am grateful to see I have one reader if you PM me your email address I'll send you a scan of the Fellrunner report but I have to tell you that you aren't listed in the first 20.

John Wild won in 29.27 of 424 runners. (yes 424) .

Graham
    Thank you, but I've found the Fellrunner report on the FRA website. Top 20 in that sort of field would have been quite an achievement!

Presumably there would have been a copy of those results carefully filed away in Bill Smith's archive. I wonder what happened to his collection of fell running documents after he died?
    Jorge Luis Borges