Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Superb vast improvement on old format well done team
    I was never 'dissatisfied' with the previous format, I always considered that Britta had instigated a quantum leap in the production of the mag. The new format is excellent, certainly 'different'.

Tindersticks' High Cup Nick race report is superb, just what we've come to expect of the scribe; typifies down to earth, grass roots, northern fell running.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I'd agree that the new format is "different" but The Fellrunner, as always, is still packed full of great content. However, I think that the glossier finish of the previous format certainly brought more life to the photographs.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I was never 'dissatisfied' with the previous format, I always considered that Britta had instigated a quantum leap in the production of the mag. The new format is excellent, certainly 'different'.

Tindersticks' High Cup Nick race report is superb, just what we've come to expect of the scribe; typifies down to earth, grass roots, northern fell running.

I was not dissatisfied with the previous format either it worked for me then, but things move on and the new format just feels overall better i.e size, layout etc.
    I think the new matt stock the mag is printed on makes very little difference to the colour prints and the BW prints are better imo ( I base my opinion on 50 years working as a printer)but as ever beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As to content it is unchanged as far as I can see just downright SUPERB
    Last edited by JohnK; 01-06-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I'm liking the new format.

It's just arrived today so I can't comment on the content as yet.

Mines not arrived yet...but I did notice our postman was walking with a limp last week. He was really struggling to walk, i'll let him off with my late delivery... he's a nice chap and I'm unsure of the sick policy at his place of work, maybe he's no option but to soilder on...at a reduced pace!
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Bring back the gloss

I can't agree on the new format. I'm all for moving with the times but the format seems more suited to an arty design or fashion mag than to fell running. The matt paper might be more environmentally friendly but it makes everything look dull - especially the photos. They look flat, dark and lack definition and not a patch on the old. The Fellrunner contains lots of info so you want to be be able to scan through and pick out what you want to read. Everything is too dull and spaced out to do that. The previous design was so much more clear and compact.
    Sorry editor, like so much these days, style has over-shadowed substance. On the surface it might look good but it's not at all practical. Bring back the gloss together with a clear, concise format!

Master
    As it arrived I thought wow. However lying in bed last night I was underwhelmed. Picture quality is poor and somehow the articles seem disjointed. Probably spread across too many pages. The type is amateurish and the results section and race updates almost impossible to follow. Please don't sacrifice what has been an awesome magazine with stunning photography for this. It is a million miles off from what we have been used to nd reminds me of a fanzine/ ragmag product.Very disappointed.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Well I think it's a great improvement. I think someone else compared it to Rouleur which us what it also reminds me of. I don't think the picture quality suffers too much and the overall layout and "feel" is much improved.
    Particularly enjoyed Mr Fishwick's piece on High Cup Nick but I always look out for his race reports on here too as they are always a great read. Hopefully they will become a regular feature.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Well I think it's a great improvement. I think someone else compared it to Rouleur which us what it also reminds me of.
    Mmmh. But isn't Rouleur bought by rich MAMILs whereas cyclists read Cycling Weekly?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

My only initial worry was the ''no black and white photos to be submitted'' so no more stunning Billy Proctor type cover shots? A couple of minor mistakes, but then we've always had the odd one or two slip through the net. Now having taken on board comments posted on 'faceplant' and heard some of the grumblings of athletes and officials at the Skiddaw selection races, I've looked through and realise there is no junior section, no internationals and the results are mixed regions - East Midlands appears to be mostly the Peak District. I hope this is just a glitch in starting a new format. Much as I love the high gloss previous format, well done on choosing a more environmentally friendly construction. But with smaller pages and more 'arty'spaced printing, there is less content on each page, so more pages to achieve the same volume of content?
    A circular route mostly downhill