Thread: Hip Pain

Hip Pain

Anyone had hip pain high up right on the bone? Comes on during a long run and especialy the day after. There's another thread on here about a hip injury but it seems to relate to the ITB - whereas this seems different?

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Re: Hip Pain

I believe that the ITB runs down the outside of the hip, so I wouldn't discount the idea of ITB problems. The stretches mentioned on the thread help my hips.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

But I'm not a doctor, or qualified physioanything & there must be more opinions out there.................
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

This sounds like what I had at the start of the year. Came on really suddenly during a run and couldn't shift it for months. Eventually I had about a month off completely and it went.

Weak buttocks?

Gluteus Medius could be a possible cause, it is for me anyway. They can often become weak or "de-activated" causing poor stability.

Try lying on your side (Opposite to the side you have pain on), bring your feet up beneath your backside until your legs are at about 30 degrees bent.

Keep heels together and raise your knee on the affected side. Do this slowly and controlled and make sure you keep your pelvis absolutely still otherwise it's cheating. Then lower till your knees touch.

This should isolate the Glute Med. and after say 2-3 sets of 10 reps you should be able to feel it ache. Do that every night on both legs (well you wouldn't want to end up running in circles) for a week or so and see if it makes a difference.

The other thing to try is to actively clench each buttock, alternately, whilst you walk. So as your foot strikes in front of you clench to help drive your foot back (Or you forward). This seems helps get the glutes activated and after a while you can stop thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post
    Anyone had hip pain high up right on the bone? Comes on during a long run and especialy the day after. There's another thread on here about a hip injury but it seems to relate to the ITB - whereas this seems different?
    I suffered with this out of blue on a 9 mile run a couple of months back and put a thred on the forum, again the pain was high up, right on the bone it also felt a little numb like when you have a needle at the dentist. After 3 or 4 weeks of stop start running and visiting a physio. I had about 10 days of rest.

I then started running on the soft ground of a local playing field every other day and doing short distances a mile or two at most this seemed to help and now after 4 weeks or so I am up to 9 miles again and without any problems. The rest was important ,if not frustrating. It is important to build up slowly again.

I spy with my little eye.........

Pinno buying cakes...............

Couldn't resist those cakes today at work today, first one in a while and by god it was nice. ran it off tonight though.