Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burley Bridge Hike

Burley Bridge Hike

This LDWA event goes from Ben Rhydding this Saturday (10th Nov) with a start at 8.00. 21 miles, 2700ft of climb over Ilkley Moor and Windgate Nick. There's a longish canal section before a climb back over from Airedale to Wharfedale via the Twelve Apostles.
    Although it's LDWA, there are normally plenty of runners.

Re: Burley Bridge Hike

[quote=Tussockface;79608]This LDWA event goes from Ben Rhydding this Saturday (10th Nov) with a start at 8.00. 21 miles, 2700ft of climb over Ilkley Moor and Windgate Nick. There's a longish canal section before a climb back over from Airedale to Wharfedale via the Twelve Apostles.
    Although it's LDWA, there are normally plenty of runners.[
    /quote]

Unfortunatley i wont be able to do it Tussockface (cos of that bastard cow! - see me entry for The Hebden) Over the past week i'd been inclreasing the miles and got up to 7/8 but the ankle swelled up again and now back to square one. Am gutted as i've paid my entry fee!!

I anyone wants a free 21 mile run (cost £7) for tommorow Sat- let me know (i know its last min)

Are the results posted anywhere? I was out training on the route yesterday and spoke to a few runners near Micklethwaite.
    Now't wrong wi me, its t'others.

I don't think the results usually get put online but they are sent out by post within a few days so we might be able to put a copy on here.

I had a good run yesterday and the conditions were better than last year. I think I perhaps set off slightly too fast as I slowed a bit after Stocks Hill (16/17 miles) but managed to keep running OK.

On my way up from Morton Stoop I overtook the marshals who were on their way to White Crag Moss. They said "Have you done it before?" and I said "Yes" so they said "Good, we'll follow you then!".

There seemed to be a decent turnout - 130 or so pre-entered, and another 80 on the day.
    It was definitely less boggy than last year, and a tailwind on the section from the Twelve Apostles was useful. On the other hand, we were made to take the official route up the steps at the start; last year, almost everyone set off along the road, which is a quicker and gentler way onto the moor.
    I was really pleased with my run and enjoyed the event very much, largely because it was pretty well painless, unlike last year when I was plagued by a niggling injury and cramp. I actually finished 25 minutes faster!!
    Rombald: if I'd known you were there, I'd have given you a wave, although from your account of beating the marshals to the checkpoint, it would have to have been from some distance behind.

Wink Re: Burley Bridge Hike

I had a good run after a 6 months out injured and only managed to run out of steam after the last check .
    New stone flags on the moor since I was last there, soon be called
    Yellow Un -Bog, still saved afew seconds.
    Must have been one of the driest years ever ,cant remember not having soaking feet before!

I reckon the route up the steps is about about three or four minutes longer than along the road. I went up the steps last year as well, because I didn't know the way along the road and didn't trust my "navigation at speed" skills even for that!

The other bit where time could be saved is by going along Moor Road and down Moor Lane to Scalebor Park. I did that last year when we were allowed to choose our own route and saved about five minutes. Had to smile at the start this time when John Sparshatt said anyone going the short way would have an hour added onto their time, and a guy shouted "It's worth an hour to go that way!"

The stone flags on Yellow (Un)Bog are very recent as they weren't there when I went round the route a couple of weeks before the event.

Results are attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the results Rombald. Those times look pretty quick to me.
    Now't wrong wi me, its t'others.

burley bridge hike

anyone doing this that can post an electronic copy of map/route description please?

Re: burley bridge hike

You got mail!

See you tomorrow