Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusk til Dawn

Dusk til Dawn

Has anyone entered this event?

http://beyondmarathon.com/wordpress/dusktildawn/

This is the first event my friend Richard has devised and it looks to be well subscribed.

I am sweeper on the first leg so may see some of you if you are.
    Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top, then you will see how low it is.

Re: Dusk til Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Cliveybaby View Post
    Has anyone entered this event?

http://beyondmarathon.com/wordpress/dusktildawn/

This is the first event my friend Richard has devised and it looks to be well subscribed.

I am sweeper on the first leg so may see some of you if you are.
    Hope not to see you too soon if you're the 'Grim Sweeper' Cliveybaby - Im entered and theres 14 of us Goyt Valley lot in all.

I am indeed the Grim Sweepe for leg 1. Richard said a lot oa Goyt Valley had entered.

To be honest I am thinking it might be a lonely run for me.
    Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top, then you will see how low it is.

I'm in but currently considering if I really am going to do it - did a night recee and it dawned on me quite how dark it will be for the whole time and how tired I'll be....

Sounds quite a tough cut off?

also "At 2am, the clocks go back, giving you one more precious hour to finish the race." the clocks may go back - but it doesn't mean an extra hour between and dusk and dawn?! There is still virtually the same amount of darkness as the night before and after

the organisers have done a great job on this race, giving lots of details about the course and laying on free point to point reccies, giving lifts to/from the start of each race.

i did one of the night reccies last week, yes it is going to be dark!? which will slow things down, i expect most people will finish between 11-13 hours. the time limit doesn't leave much but should give plenty of leeway.

i'm just looking forward to the fry up at the end :-)

The website got a spike of traffic from here, wondered what it was.

Tom, the Earth takes the same amount of time to go round the Sun of course, but the opening paragraph explains that the race starts at 17:42pm and ends at 06:48. On a normal night that's 13 hours and 6 minutes, but on October 27th/28th it's 14 hours and 6 minutes until Dawn due to the end of BST. It is intentionally a tight cutoff, a race against the Sun, but as Barny Says we think most people will finish between 11 and 13 hours. Average 3.55mph required.

Yes indeed Clive is indeed the Grim Sweeper's first incarnation for the first 1/3rd of the route. I don't think Clive knows the other two Grim Sweepers. I don't think you'll be lonely Clive, hunting down the runners with the large scythe we've been polishing specially! The first 5 miles is a loop over Losehill, with lots of marshals around, to keep you company. Mile 9 is CP1, but maybe that last 6 miles to Taddington will be a little quiet unless you've caught up with anyone that early! I was reading your 5K times recentley Clive, it's a good job we're not letting you chase them at full tilt!

Sarah, just make sure you sleep well the night before!
    Last edited by RichW; 26-09-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Hi Rich, good to see you on the forum. I am looking forward to my night out in the peaks rather than my usual lake district over nighters.

From all the hard work you have put in I really hope this is a success.

I'll see you on the first leg Clive. I'm hoping to get to the last checkpoint without being chopped, and will take it as steady as I can at the beginning- so plan on running with the sweeper at just over "being swept pace". In theory, I'll try to speed up later on! looking forward to it, and trying to stay positive- but dropped out the hardmoors60 at 20 miles with a groinstrain (now recovered)- so have to accept that i may get swept!

Fellhound

Sounds like a brilliant event. I've nothing like enough stamina at the moment but maybe next year...? 'twill give me some reccying time as well