Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wensleydale Wedge

Re: Wensleydale Wedge this Sun

Lucky for me our pace is very similar.
    You're too generous, Chris. That may be true only on the rare occasions when I happen to be peaking and you're tagging along and taking it easy You were taking it easy, weren't you?

The Runfurther activities on Saturday, followed by 3 hours of fitful sleep, must have worked wonders for my performance, though goodness knows how.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    My run wasn't helped by taking the wrong route with the lead group and then leaving my map in the back of a marshall's car boot when I stopped to eat custard creams! But, all in for 3hr 32, a good tough training run.
    It's amazing how much time I can loss at CPs, deciding what to eat.

What's the time on your certificate? Mine says 3h 32, but I think I finished a few minutes after you.
    Last edited by slang; 17-11-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: grammar

I think it was 3.30.
    Why walk when you can run.

Wensleydale Wedge

Anyone doing the Wensleyday this year?

Anyone done it for a heads up on useful tit bits of info?

Re: Wensleydale Wedge

Brilliant event. Navigation fairly straight forward. Best not done the day after the Tour of Pendle. Leave plenty of time to get to the start - the roads are slow - seen several last minute dashes! Also best not done when there's been flooding and the streams are hard to cross. Or when it's snowing and you can't see more than 10 metres in front of you (the bit over the tops was very interesting in a spooky sort of way). Ok for following the footsteps in the snow though. It clashes with something this year so I can't do it. Have fun though.

I did this for the first time last year. Biggest bit of advice, enter early its popular and the field size is limited so as not to turn Askrigg into a car park. I think I left my entry to a little over a week before, which was too late, ended up getting there and organising running in place of a non-attendent I knew on day. I think this year is 20th running so enter now if you haven't already.

Its a nice route, not as tough as I half suspected, some nice soft underfoot moorland at its western point after a longish climb from a few miles after the start. A long descent to follow to a welcome indoor refreshment point. I recall the rest just undulates barring a short sharp climb to the castle. I think the biggest difficulty last year in middle and closing miles was the softness, wetness of ground due to rain. Not unpleasent if your taking it steady. Its definately an area I'd like to run more, one of my faves from the LDWA calender. :thumbup:

Super Moderator

I agree with the above positive views and advice. A good LDWA event (are there any bad ones?)

Fab

Already got a place. So just got to try and look forward to it. Feeling a wee bit nervous as it's the biggest things I've done in years!!!

Thanks for the heads up guys

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I agree with the above positive views and advice. A good LDWA event (are there any bad ones?)
    Not found one yet Derby Tup. Low key organisation and hospitality before, during and after are always good. I think, maybe the only thing I can seperate this one on from some others is the location.

Done the Wedge today and so I just wanted to say to anyone thinking about it what a great race it is. It was my first big race for a few years and it was a great introduction back into long distance running.

Very well orgainised and marshalled, great food and drink en route and at the end, friendly runners and non-competitive atmosphere, nice route with great scenery, even got a bottle of beer at the end with unique Wensleydale Wedge label to celebrate their 20th race. And all for under a tenner! :thumbup: