Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner From London

Beginner From London

I'd really like to get involved in Fell Running - but unfortunately live in London at the moment. Can anyone possibly tell me the feasibility of this? Or should I preferably wait until I re-locate?! lol
    Thankyou in advance.

Sb

Re: Beginner From London

Depends what you mean by getting 'involved', but plenty of hill reps on Parliament Hill wouldn't go amiss!

Hampstead Heath gets lovely and muddy at this time of year. Go play on there to get used to running on that sort of terrain, then start to think about travelling to a few races.

Just get stuck in!

Just go down to the Surrey Hills. You can see Canary Wharf from the top of Leith Hill which is just short of 1000 ft above sea level. Loads of great forest trails. If you can run up Box Hill you'll be able to run up any fell.
    I love the countryside down there. There's some pretty tough races as well. Don't worry about whether it's a fell or not just calculate the ascent.
    Some of those chalk hills are really steep. So get out on the Downs too.
    To get your navigation skills together have a go at orienteering which has a lot of crossover features with fellrunning. There's a link on the FRA homepage.
    And don't forget coastal running. A stretch of wild coastline feels very much like fellrunning especially if you follow a rough path to the top of a cliff.
    Any off road running is great preparation for fellrunning.
    Good luck.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Actually this is the orienteering link: http://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/

OK - some questions first:

What part of London do yu live in?

Do you have a car or will you be on the train?

When and where will you be re-locating?

Then I can hopefully offer you some sensible advice.

Downsman.

"When the world is too dark
    And I need the light inside of me
    I walk in to a bar
    And drink fifteen pints of beer."

That's quite a moving poem you've got as your signature Downsman. Did you write it yourself?

Chris

In my opinion hill training is over rated for fell runners. Basic cardio vascular fitness and enthusiasm for hills will do. And there are far too many Northerners doing the sport. Look at clubs like Tring and that club from Essex (what are they called Springfield?)

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Smoovasbird View Post
    I'd really like to get involved in Fell Running - but unfortunately live in London at the moment. Can anyone possibly tell me the feasibility of this? Or should I preferably wait until I re-locate?! lol
    Thankyou in advance.

Sb
    its very feasable if you have lots of petrol money

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    That's quite a moving poem you've got as your signature Downsman. Did you write it yourself?
    Shane MacGowan, 'Streams of Whiskey' - from the first Pogues lp 'Red Roses For Me' - 1984. A seminal work!

Was in same situation as you until January and then managed to "escape" to the Dark Peak. Friday night hauls up the M1 are deeply depressing but worth the end result. As has already been mentioned Parliament Hill and Hampstead Heath in general is worth a trot (watch out for overly friendly men in bushes though). Richmond Park is good if you leave the crowds on the loop and explore the "wild" of the middle. Further out, Surrey Hills and South Downs have some great runs and Mountain Biking.... Nirvana Cycles in Dorkings Killer Loop is still one of my favourite rides and pre-move was the staple of my Three Peaks Cyclocross training. Swinley Forest near Bracknell had some nice running. Keep an eye out for some of the Trail runs over in Wiltshire/Berkshire... there is a cracker in January that I can't remember the name of but if you can descend fast on wet chalk you can descend on anything. My advice is to get as involved as you can now, get as "hill-fit" as possible and hit the ground running when you move.