Thread: Wet Wood

Wet Wood

OK - what shoes grip wet wood? I mean styles, bridges and the like that seem to turn to ice rinks when they get 'alf inch o'watter on 'em.

david

Re: Wet Wood

Quote Originally Posted by downsman View Post
    OK - what shoes grip wet wood? I mean styles, bridges and the like that seem to turn to ice rinks when they get 'alf inch o'watter on 'em.
    Spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Spikes.
    Yep. Them or crampons. Nowt else.
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

You've missed the obvious, boys, - Orienteering shoes or boots! They have pretty substantial rubber cleated soles, as fell or good trail shoes, but they also have steel 'dobs' set in the ends of the rubber cleats; basically so that you can jump on and off wet slimey logs and fallen trees with impunity, whilst running through frozen Scandinavian forests. Also, they are built like the proverbial brick latrine so that they don't fall apart the first time that you point them at a patch of brambles or a path strewn with brashings. Have a look at Rick Aughton's web site - www.compasspoint.co.uk - I think? If you have dodgy ankles, look at the support boots on offer from the Finnish company JALAS, I believe they are the only company in the world that make Nordic Ski-Jumping boots.

I know what you mean Downsman - I really came a cropper on a wet bridge last winter - I think my problem was that I hesitated slightly when I realised it was slippy - I would have been better keeping on at the same speed. Took no chances on my second lap and splashed through the stream instead.

For info, the orienteering suppliers are at www.compasspoint-online.co.uk, the address given is a recruitment agency.

Cheers Folks. I've been holding out this mornign due to torrential rain but it's time to make the dash ....