Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Running Gear.

Re: Winter Running Gear.

Sobering story Basil (gulp).

You mentioned emergency bags. Also as a keen winter backpacker and winter fell walker (sorry for using the W word), I usually carry some sort of emergency shelter at the bottom of my pack - lately a Rab survival-zone bivvy. But that's going to be too heavy for my bumbag when running. I have an unopened, foil sealed, plastic survival bag, bought well back into the last millenium, which weighs in at approx. 100 gms. Carried for decades but never required. Is that the sort of kit you would typically carry while running out on the fells during the winter?

By the way, the instructions on the rear of the packaging inform me that it'll also make a handy desert still, so that should keep the 'spirits' up if my navigation really goes wayward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Sobering story Basil (gulp).

You mentioned emergency bags. Also as a keen winter backpacker and winter fell walker (sorry for using the W word), I usually carry some sort of emergency shelter at the bottom of my pack - lately a Rab survival-zone bivvy. But that's going to be too heavy for my bumbag when running. I have an unopened, foil sealed, plastic survival bag, bought well back into the last millenium, which weighs in at approx. 100 gms. Carried for decades but never required. Is that the sort of kit you would typically carry while running out on the fells during the winter?
    I would love something that small / light! Mine is a little more substantial (think "rucsack liner poly bag" material.)
    I need to go to an outdoors shop and get a ultralightweight one. Needs to be a bag, rather than a blanket, so you can get inside (open end to the ground)- sit on your rucsack and roll the open end underneath your feet. Any plastic will cut out the wind and rain. The heavier ones will stand up to more repeated use, but it's not the kind of thing I've really used much!

Smile Essential Winter Running Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw View Post
    A few hours into the run my feet, face and hands froze, my hat barely kept my head warm...This was my first winter night time outing in the wind and ice.
    Bit of an open question: What gear do you wear/can you recommend for freezing/cold/wet/snowy days/nights in the Lakes?
    Any help much appreciated before I splash the hard earned cash.

Huw.
    I think I need a balaclava
    I would add a pair of swimming goggles (or similar) & a mobile 'phone.

Regards,

Max.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.

Master and MR

like trundler i tend to run hot but my fingers really get cold , the other week id had enough , ive purchased some salomon gloves that have inners and also take liner gloves, wow what a difference.
    i really could do with some waterproof tights now, anyone recommend any

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Ronhill do DXB tracksters which are 'water repellent'. (DXB stands for Ducks Back)

Also, Raidlight

who also do tights with pockets which looks like quite a good idea.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Ronhill do DXB tracksters which are 'water repellent'. (DXB stands for Ducks Back)

Also, Raidlight

who also do tights with pockets which looks like quite a good idea.
    cheers dom , was rather wondering if JJ could have sent me a pair of hers

been looking at the raidlight site and they do have some nice gear. I have nearly bought one of their rucksacks before but opted for an OMM sack.

I was eyeing up their lightweight waterproof tops but I am unable to understand if the seams are taped or are they just claiming waterproof seams? Can anyone help me out and shed some light on that? Anyone got one?

Obviously to meet kit requirements I need a taped seam and I quite fancy them instead of the Montane one.

On winter kit it takes a lot to get me out of my pertex top. Was running in the hail and rain this weekend with 2 base layers and a pertex top. Nice and warm!

If I do need to put on a waterproof, I am currently lugging around a Craghopper paclite that nearly weighs as much as my tent! Hence looking at the Raidlight. Usually take both a pertex and a waterproof.

My best winter buy is my micro-fleece lined berghaus running tights. Don't hold water, warm when wet and breaks the wind well. Tested in the OMM and great!

Do take a silver blanket and usually a small first aid kit along with a mobile should the worst happen as I know if I stop my temperature plummets although I would have 4 layers on top half and fleece tights on bottom.

Lola

Sorry to come so late to this thread but just had to mention the good folk at 'Newline'. You don't see too much of their kit on the fells but it is really well made and being Danish they know about chilly winters. They do a range of cycling undershirts with a kind of pertex front on it, short or longsleeved. The joy is that it is very light and your back breaths but your tum stays good and warm. Old school cyclists used to put newspaper down the front of their jerseys so I guess that is the inspiration. Colour range is a bit limited (black or navy) but you can't go wrong and the price is right - cheaper than a Helly at RRP.
    After 3 pages of good advice I bet you wished you had'nt asked now.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    like trundler i tend to run hot but my fingers really get cold , the other week id had enough , ive purchased some salomon gloves that have inners and also take liner gloves, wow what a difference.
    out of intrest daz what gloves did you get ,as my gloves failed me on sat.so looking to upgrade myself.was they waterproof ?.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by old un View Post
    out of intrest daz what gloves did you get ,as my gloves failed me on sat.so looking to upgrade myself.was they waterproof ?.
    old un the crazy thing was i didnt have the new ones on
    but the new ones are salomon ski type gloves and they are def waterproof as ive used them in bad rain and would have been great for the second half of the race
    trouble is when its not mega cold they are to warm , so bloody frustrating
    but i think your gonna have to pay £40 for a good pair and get them big enough to accept a glove liner as well