Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting a bike to a fixie

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Is it true that you only have one brake on the rear wheel?
    Yeah usually.

I heard a piece on the news recently where a rider of a fixed wheel track bike killed a woman in a collision, he only had a rear brake and I think this makes it illegal on the roads?

Not sure what punishment the rider received, or whether a front brake would have made any difference to the tragic outcome for the Lady killed.

Traditionally You have a front brake and no rear brake, most of the off the peg fixies have both brakes fitted, I have a Langster which I've had for a good few years, I removed the rear brake, cable, lever to save a bit of weight, the only downdside to this can be that if you're on drops you have only one brake hood to climb on unless you leave the lever on or even better, knock the pin out of the lever to remove the lever part and just have the hood
    I've ridden fixed for years, they make for a great work bike as short of a bit on oil for the chain they're maintenance free, only takes forgetting not to freewheel a couple of times before you get the hang of it

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    Yeah usually.

I heard a piece on the news recently where a rider of a fixed wheel track bike killed a woman in a collision, he only had a rear brake and I think this makes it illegal on the roads?

Not sure what punishment the rider received, or whether a front brake would have made any difference to the tragic outcome for the Lady killed.
    I think the guy in question had no brakes fitted New York courier/ track style!! the law requires a front brake as a minimum for the road

The guy is due to be sentenced 18 Sep, he was charged under an old law 'wanton and furious driving' as this takes into account injuries. By law a fixie requires a front break as the fixed rear wheel classes as a break.

It does seem as though the guy was a total .... head but if the lady stepped out in front of him because she was looking at her phone then....

I do wonder what the judge might have said if the lad had been injured as a result of a pedestrians inattention to the road
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Banned
    Both have blame and a duty of care for others.

The cyclists was on a machine unfit for the road.

Just to correct a point, the defendant admitted in court, when presented with evidence, that he lied about the lady being on her phone, but amazed how many people have picked up on this. His early social media work was perpetuated by many commentators who then never bothered to correct it when the real facts appeared. Seems to be the way of the world now to jump to judgement.

Trev, the law requires that you have a means of controlling (slowing down / stopping ) both wheels. As the fixed gear fulfils this function on the rear wheel, the one brake requires fitting to the front wheel. As you've seen from the photos, I have fitted both front and back brakes to my newly converted old road frame ...... relying on one brake cable for 'non-competition' use is a bit too scarey for my taste, worth having the rear as back-up, even though I rarely use it.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!