Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Joy of.....solo fell runs

The Joy of.....solo fell runs

No dodgy sketches then of me with a 70’s beard, naked with an unnaturally hairy female friend . Forget the joy of sex; I’m talking about (solo) fell running which at three or four times a week in the summer and once or twice a week in the winter clearly counts as a regular happening on my events calendar and, yeah, yeah, yeah I’m setting myself up for a ‘solo’ sex joke of some sort I know (“sex is okay but nothing like the real thing” etc).

Sooo…… back to solo fell running which I just love to bits. Its funny but until this year when I’ve properly raced in the fells a fair few times, I’d have said that running on my own up in the middle of nowhere was what fell running was all about rather than full on fell races, albeit over some unbelievable courses and terrain. There’s obviously so much more that you can control when you’re on your own and of course get wrong. Each run can be a huge adventure or disaster or both. Working out routes on the hoof, getting lost, biting off more than you can chew, getting injured and facing a 6 mile hobble back, having to face down a herd of inquisitive cows....all on your tod, solo night running ‘with head torch’, getting really familiar with set routes and areas of dale and fell in an almost Wainwright-esque way, getting really plastered in mud (which to me is crucial in order to count as a proper run), passing hill walkers and leaving them in your wake when they’re already impossibly knackered and you’re breezing up an incline (or at least putting on the pretense)..

I know that hereabouts running on your own is often considered training for races, which of course it is, but I just feel that its important to say that its also not training either. It’s a thing, a purpose, a fun and sometimes dangerous hobby in itself. In a way, I probably actually race to train for my solo fell runs or at least to find out some of the classic routes for future solo runs

Master

Re: The Joy of.....solo fell r

Right with you on all of that.

With the exception that i always take my dog, best running/training partner ever. She never complains, has an unerring sense of direction, never answers back and seems to know which is the best line and makes sure she gets it , only down side she eats half the food i carry, a small price to pay i guess
    The older I get the Faster I was

Is that your running partner in your avatar John?

Thumbs up Re: The Joy of.....solo fell r

Isn't it far simpler to say that it is what is according to the view of the individual? One persons race is another's social run. One persons 'run' is another persons tempo session? There are no rules defining what 'it' is?

Master

Yep thats my running partner.

Dominion life is simple until somebody try`s to complicate it, and when like me you have no chance of winning anything every run is a social run be it a race or whatwever
    The older I get the Faster I was

Interesting one this.

Because I work unsocial shifts, I find myself running when everyone else is at work... to have any company, apart from next door's dog, is unusual. The motivation is there to just go and do it; not to train for a race, but just for the pleasure of it.

The races are events to me... I am that chuffin' slow, there are few folks around me towards the end, but the races are still social, pleasurable events and if there a shoulder to shoulder sprint (I use the word carefully!) for the line, then that's a real buzz and a bonus.

I have to say, I am not as adventurous as you Stolly (I don't tend to run the risk of getting lost), but it's great to just get out and enjoy it.

It's horses (ponies?) for courses I suppose, but it does it for me.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Master and MR

i must admit like johnk i now have my dog on 90% of my runs and its become so much better when i set off over the hills and stuff , i always used to train on my own apart from the club weekly run so ive prob been running 2000miles a year on my ownbut not no more.
    The dog has had his op and ive not run with him for 2 days and im really missing him, no one to talk to or share the pain and joy or views or like john says odd sandwich or biccie on the way round.
    i love recces with the forum guys , its an amazing experience, nothing formal and great company also and ive met some fantastic like minded people.

Totally agree with those sentiments. It's nice to run with my mate or the club on short runs to catch up etc , but i prefer the long runs with my dog. I reckon she knows when she's in for a big run. Next weekend i'll be running some of the Marsden /Edale route , from Edale, it'll be excellent on the tops and no doubt we'll both be shattered at the end of the day. Roll on Saturday!!

best days out by far...me and me dog and the bogs! runs with others are ok, but solo runs for the log 'uns can't be bettered... you decide when you run fast,slow,stop etc. running with my mate can be so frustrating, little %$£" can't run with you, he is either miles in front or behind, and then yatters on and being a deaf git spend all day yelling at him you can't hear him! AND guess what? he still does it! So, i'll be a soloist!
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

I do believe I know who you are talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by haworth hobbler View Post
    best days out by far...me and me dog and the bogs! runs with others are ok, but solo runs for the log 'uns can't be bettered... you decide when you run fast,slow,stop etc. running with my mate can be so frustrating, little %$£" can't run with you, he is either miles in front or behind, and then yatters on and being a deaf git spend all day yelling at him you can't hear him! AND guess what? he still does it! So, i'll be a soloist!