Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf

I wonder if the last page is what Stagger expected when he resurrected this thread...?!?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    On the subject of Coventry: my son is just starting his second year at Coventry University. He discovered quite early in his first year that it's a rather unsavoury city; fortunately he is sufficiently streetwise to keep out of trouble, but he knows at least one other student who has been attacked and hurt.

But back to the main subject of this thread. When I was an undergraduate at St Andrews University, I sometimes ran along the West Sands (where the opening scene of Chariots of Fire was filmed); but behind the beach there is a large area of undulating rough grassland and small dunes. Someone has mown broad strips of grass through it, and these strips end in very finely mown areas with holes in the middle; but despite this, the rough areas are excellent running terrain, and I often ran there.

For my PhD I went to the University with possibly the worst fell-running facilities in Britain. On a long run (at least ten miles) I could visit the Gog Magog Hills (these are what count as hills in Cambridgeshire), where there was also a golf course. On one such occasion I was going round the edge of the course, keeping close to the hedge, when some snooty bloke told me I shouldn't be there. Nothing like that had ever happened at St Andrews.

Why the difference between Scottish and English attitudes to golf?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Apparently Coventry has become a 'ghost town'. All the clubs have closed down, bands won't play no more and there is too much fighting on the dance floor. Quite frankly, people getting angry!
    Like!

Banned
    Golf was poor as expected.
    Company was good.
    This thread is hilarious.

Golf. Had a go once with the guys from work, normally with anything thing that I do (especially of the sporting variety) I try to give it a good go, golf I just couldn’t even be bothered, my mood wasn’t really helped by hacking through most of the local undergrowth, something which on the flip side I quite happily do on a run. I just couldn’t see the point, it’s like playing snooker but with a quarter mile walk between each shot

Whilst on honeymoon in Oban we walked past a golf club. Every parking space had an alloted name place from Ladies captain to assistant tea lady. I could imagine a major diplomatic incident if anyone parked in non designated spot. I've only ever played pitch and putt which was quite enjoyable.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I just couldn’t see the point, it’s like playing snooker but with a quarter mile walk between each shot
    I think that is the point: people want to go for a walk, but they think they need some excuse for it, so they play a bit of snooker on the way round.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

There is a variant known as speedgolf, where your score is a combination of number of shots and time taken for the round:

https://britishspeedgolf.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    There is a variant known as speedgolf, where your score is a combination of number of shots and time taken for the round:

https://britishspeedgolf.co.uk/
    I see an opportunity for fellgolf, it could be pitched to them folk on dragons den but I think they’d be out when the added up the cost for the lost balls

Banned
    Ryder Cup next week