Thread: Calf pain when stretching quad

Calf pain when stretching quad

OK, after running or walking for an hour or so I sometimes get a pain in the top of the calf muscle just below the knee (one leg only, always my right). I can usually continue the run or walk, but it becomes more uncomfortable as I go on.

The pain in the top of the calf becomes severe if I try to fully bend my knee, for example by doing a quad stretch (the one you do standing on one leg). When the leg goes back down the pain goes away. This is curious, since the pain gets worse when the muscle is apparently relaxing.

A hamstring/calf stretch seems to help slightly, but never really eases the pain felt during the quad stretch.

It is generally fine again by the next day, with a full on quad stretch not giving any discomfort.

This only happens sometimes. Certainly not every run/walk.

Any ideas anyone?

Re: Calf pain when stretching

Is it a kind of cramp pain?

I have had pains up there before but just put it down to cramp hence it got worse when bending knee and relaxing.

Get cramp in the arch of my foot and that is similar. Really kicks in when relaxed.

Not like any cramp Ive known. When I do the quad stretch, the pain is directly related to the amout of bend in the knee, and it goes as soon as the leg drops down. Its not a spasm thing like cramp.

I pass then?

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    I pass then?
    Thanks anyway. I suppose a visit to a physio may be in order.

the tibial nerve runs behind the knee and into the calf and can be painfull with compression (e.g quad stretch).

look at your back / hips and see whats going on. try a slump test to see if a neurodynamic component is involved (i'm sure if you google slump test you'll find out how to do it)

Quote Originally Posted by RVN View Post
    the tibial nerve runs behind the knee and into the calf and can be painfull with compression (e.g quad stretch).

look at your back / hips and see whats going on. try a slump test to see if a neurodynamic component is involved (i'm sure if you google slump test you'll find out how to do it)
    Thanks RVN, will look into that.