Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Mountains Race

Black Mountains Race

I know it's not until September but has anyone got any details - website or checkpoints - on the Black Mountains Race? I will be in the area with work shortly and fancy a run 'round.

Cheers

MH

Re: Black Mountains Race

Hello Mr Hare.
    There is no website as this race is run in very traditional ways by the great Puffing Billy (W J Darby) who even writes out the results by hand...including all the split times.
    Race starts outside the Red Lion Pub in Llanbedr and makes its way to CP 1 Pen Cerrig Calch by way of a track that aims directly at Table Mountain from the lane at GR 244207 The route then runs north along a fabulous ridge over Pen Allt Mawr before dropping into the Grwyne Fechan at Pen Twyn Glas. At the northern edge of the forest on the valley bottom, cross the Grwyne to take the BIG ascent to CP 2, Pen Y Gadair Fawr. This is HUGE. Straight over to Grwyne Fawr now where the road exits the forest at 248292 for another steep pull to CP 3 Chwarel Y Fan. Another long ridge run south to CP 4, Bal Mawr and the navigational crux of the race. Run due south off Bal Mawr to pick up the forest trail at 269263. Go south into the forest, turning left of the trail after a hundred yards or so onto a cut that leads to the lower track that meets the road by a bridge at 267252. Straight over the road into the next forestry section, turning left at the cross roads onto the track that goes to Ffordd Las fawr farm house. Go right about 100 yards after the farm taking a track that goes straight up the hill side, straight over first forest road and then left at next forest road to exit forest over stile at 262232. Then head south to final CP, Crug Mawr. Return to llanbedr via Blaen Yr Henbant picking up lane at 240212 and then leaving lane on footpath on right at 243205. Descend to the little bridge and then its a short steep pull into the back of Llanbedr to the Red Lion.
    A good time is 3 hours. There is plenty of water en route and good ale at the end. It would be helpful to recce if you are not familiar with it. Let me know when you are about...may come and do it with you.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Cheers Wheeze!

Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough description - the forum at it's best!

MH

Hi MH

A small but keen group of runners arrange night runs in this area when ever we can - see below for details

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270

We have talked about a night time version of this route - should be right up your street Wheeze!

Will keep you posted on the above thread.

Billy

Mr hare, that route is carved into my soul with searing hot irons and devilish daggers of despair! Happy to show you around when you are in the area. Let me know when its likely. BNM...lets hope for some nice frosty weather to freeze up the Black Mountain Gloop!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Wheeze,

It's a little way off yet - Thursday 8th March - nothing like a bit of forward planning - a good training run for Edale perhaps?

Thanks again

MH

Thanks MH, I need this kind of notice to arrange time off to do this. I've put 8th March in my diary. If we start by 9 we can be finished in time for lunch in the Red Lion. Anyone else want to join in?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Thanks MH, I need this kind of notice to arrange time off to do this. I've put 8th March in my diary. If we start by 9 we can be finished in time for lunch in the Red Lion. Anyone else want to join in?
    Sounds like a plan - would mean an early start for me (3hr drive) but would be a good time of day to travel anyway - let's do it!

MH

well a good alternative would be an afternoon run with tea in the RL.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I'll come, I have annual leave to use up and this is a great way of doing it!

Last time I used up leave by day tripping to the Black Mountains my exhaust blew big time near Crickhowell and I was setting off car alarms with the noise. I still got my run in because Kwik-Fit in Abergavenny needed the day to get the parts in and I could limp to Llanbedr. Still got the same car....