Thread: Throat problems

Throat problems

I've had problems with my throat for over 2 months now.

It started with losing my voice for neraly two weeks and the doctor thought it was viral. Then although it didn't completly get better it was significantly better. Then I got a sore thorat again. The doctor put me on antibiotics just in case but it didn't help and the swabs she took came back normal.

Since then my voice has been coming and going but never really coming back 100%. It ranges from having a slight huskyness to it to almost disappearing. This can happen throughout the course of a day but with no real pattern. My throat most of the time doesn't feel too sore, but it feels different. Like it's more difficult to swallow than it used to be.

My doctor is asking an ENT consultant to put a camera down my throat or something but I can't see that they'd find anything though as my voice comes and goes, even if it is a bit husky.

I'm not 100% well in myself either. I often feel quick sick and so I've lost 8-10lb in weight.

I'm assuming it's viral but I don't know why it's going on for so long.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be or what I can do to recover? It's driving me nuts as I daredn't exercise for fear of aggravating it.

Re: Throat problems

Would strongly advise seeing the ENT team as they can directly visualise your vocal cords- it's a quick, straightforward procedure that is only a little uncomfortable. Various things can cause a problem with your voice and it's worth getting it checked out with a view to getting it treated and to rule out anything sinister going on.
    By the way, do you suffer from indigestion/acid reflux type symptoms at all?
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.

Re: Throat problems

I feel sick a lot and get a lot of upper abdo pains but then I get IBS and the stress I feel at the moment is probably aggravating it.

I don't get heartburn or acid indegestion or anything like that. So I assume there's nothing to suggest acid reflux? But then I'm no doctor.

I know that they will be checking my vocal cords for polyps and the like but as my voice comes and go I assume that really won't be likely anyway, as surely that would cause permanent symptoms, whereas mine fluctuate?

It's so frsutrating.