Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post run misery......

Post run misery......

Wasn't sure if this should go in the Health Thread but can anyone else tell me if they suffer post Ultra misery???

It happened to me the last time I did an Ultra - the day after I just feel really down...... not just achey and sore but proper miserable!! doesn't happen on your 'average run/race, just these long ones!

Is this normal or am I on my own with this??? (please say I'm not!!)

Re: Post run misery......

Wouldnt say that it was normal, but would say that you are very unlikely to be on your own either.

I used to get an emotional down after a particularly strenuous outing. My laymans take is that you use a lot of adrenalin (or something) to get through a big event when your normal physical reserves get depleted, and you just dont have any left for normal life for a while after.

It dosent happen so much to me now, maybe because I dont go for broke so often.

Fellhound

Interesting. I experience the opposite effect. I have all the physical aches and pains of course, and sometimes an absolutely crippling fatigue, but mentally I generally feel incredibly chilled out and mellow!

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Interesting. I experience the opposite effect. I have all the physical aches and pains of course, and sometimes an absolutely crippling fatigue, but mentally I generally feel incredibly chilled out and mellow!
    No - I'm still waiting for that post run euphoria!

Just not happening - I was a right miserable bugger all day yesterday - feel a bit better today though thankfully.

After anything long, I tend to be ok that week, just walk/jog off the stiffness and think I've recovered well. Then the following week I'm very 'flat' and have to build myself up again. But I guess everyone reacts differently.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Fellhound

Mike Cudahy (first sub three-day Pennine Way) described something similar in his excellent book "Wild Trails to Far Horizons" (a strongly recommended read). To paraphrase him, you just have to wait for the cloud to pass.

Interesting thread... I've felt really down after overdoing it (and its definately a chemical thing - not necessarily related to my abysmal performance). I see it as the endorphine equivalent of a sugar rush:
    I.e you get loads while you're exercising; so much so that when you stop exercise the body still has lots of endorphine (natures antidepressant) and stops producing it, so then a low kicks in before the natural equilibrium is restored. Definately felt it myself but only after really overdoing it - I usually feel good for a prolonged period after a strenuous few hours out.
    Are you doing too much Emmilou?
    Have you goe a filofax? sounds a bit like yuppie flu?

Super Moderator

I reckon that if you wanted to traumatise yourself really badly both physically and mentally, then a fifty mile run, setting off in the dark and finishing after dark, would be an ideal method of doing it! Add in cold wet windy weather (say in December) for a 50% bonus. My mate Dave is a farmer's son and very resilient - he said the RR was "harder than nails; very hard nails that had been left in the hardening process twice too long" I feel mentally okay but haven't slept well for 2 nights, my ankles are swollen and my legs are still achey / sore. Anyway, enough of that - when are we all doing another?!

Master and MR

well ive not slept, eaten or found any euphoria at all
    weighed myself last thursday = 11 stone , tonight im 10 stone 4 , ive felt this before after marathons and the skyline race, but i know in my head what ive achieved and thats all that matters, its just the minds way of bringing you back to reality , ie normal life , dont worry xmas on the fells will be soon.
    ive had plnty of ooooh lets look at your T Shirt darren and we dont know how you managed it from my neighbour, lads at work, family and stuff but i just tell them to go away.
    not quite sure where ive left the shirt,badge thing if im honest, i throw all my momentos in the bin anyway .its whats in your head that counts , i wont even look at the results either,never time myself, the brilliant day out for me was thats all that mattered, great company on the day is all i remember. I just store those thoughts in my head and move on to the next one.

i didnt think i would weigh this much though and cannot understand why im not hungry, i usually eat loads after a long race, is this just my bodies way of saying daz why dont you lose that extra stone you have always promised yourself to lose and make racing easier all round
    my mums says i look anorexic, yeah cheers thanks for that compliment mum
    Last edited by daz h; 10-12-2007 at 07:38 PM.

I did the RR too.. cant say i'm feeling down after finishing - rather when I was halfway round the course. Much rather do the Bullock Smithy: I think a bit of ascent/descent helps the legs have a break from constant trudging. RR was very well organised with a great atmosphere though.