Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Post run misery......

Master and MR

Re: Post run misery......

is it normal to lose your appetite after a long un , still hardly eaten anything at all
    nothing yet today
    last night i managed to get into my size 28 waist jeans for the first time in years

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    is it normal to lose your appetite after a long un , still hardly eaten anything at all
    nothing yet today
    last night i managed to get into my size 28 waist jeans for the first time in years
    I don't, I eat like a horse. That's why I love the ultras as it means I can have as much pasties as I want without the wife nagging!

Emmi

I think your post event downer could be more to do with the fact that it was a big target or focus than the fact that it was an ultra. Once something like this is done, it leaves a gap. In time (how much varies from person to person of course) it gets filled, either with something similar or with something that is ostensibly different but has the same attraction or significance (i.e. a big and unprecedented challenge).

Physically, you'll recover quite quickly as you're fit and healthy (you must be to have succeeded - well done by the way). It's the other bit that can take a bit of time.

Bask in the glory of this one and look for something that pushes the same buttons as this one did and you'll be fine!

Good luck, and cheer up!

Mark

PS - "Physician heal thyself" i hear my friends cry (the pretentious ones anyway), who will have noticed i've been a moody sod for 5 months now!

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    nothing yet today

Does real funny things to the appetite and sleep patterns, don't worry.

After the Dragons Back, I couldn't sleep properly for days (nights), quite the opposite to expectations. And couldn't eat during it or a short while after. And then all hell let loose on the eating front... couldn't stop stuffing grub in all day long .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Does real funny things to the appetite and sleep patterns, don't worry.
    Can relate to this. I didn't have a brilliant night's sleep on Saturday. Got up twice to go to the loo. My tummy was a bit churned up both before and after but I still ate (I do like my food!).

hi Emmi

i usually get the blues about 5 days after for some reason...

i lost my appetite a bit this time but just forced some food into me after the race - but I couldn't stop eating the few days before the race - I too like my food but unfortunately don't need quite so much of it!!! (won't do that again - felt really heavy!!!)

that night didn't sleep much - there was one position where things didn't hurt so much but that involved sleeping on my stomach with my face in the pillow and couldn't keep that up for long. Had my best sleep in months on the Sunday night!!!

How can I tell whether its post run misery or someone just generally pi**ing me off at work.

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Wasn't sure if this should go in the Health Thread but can anyone else tell me if they suffer post Ultra misery???
    It's quite common and the remedy is simple. Enter another ultra.

I think it's a rebound effect from having spent months focused on a particular event and then suddenly having no immediate objectives. Come up to Scotland and do the Highland Fling race on the 26th April. Gives you time to enjoy Christmas & the New Year, recover and start training again.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    It's quite common and the remedy is simple. Enter another ultra.

I think it's a rebound effect from having spent months focused on a particular event and then suddenly having no immediate objectives. Come up to Scotland and do the Highland Fling race on the 26th April. Gives you time to enjoy Christmas & the New Year, recover and start training again.
    Better still do as i am, the Fling on the Saturday and Lochaber Marathon on the sunday, you joining me for the marathon as well runningfool?
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Better still do as i am, the Fling on the Saturday and Lochaber Marathon on the sunday, you joining me for the marathon as well runningfool?
    Madness!

I could hardly walk last time after the Fling, had to hobble across Glasgow to get the train back to Milngavie. I have a road race a few days after the Fling so tempted to miss it this year. It's part of a league series and will be my last counter so important I have a good run. Still not decided though.

What time did you do for the marathon last time? I couldn't get sub 6 hrs after the Fling.
    Last edited by IainR; 12-12-2007 at 05:59 PM.