Thread: Going from 50 to 100

Going from 50 to 100

I'm still dithering about whether to enter the LDWA 100 next May. Well impressed with how Rotherham went, but ... Not sure how to train for 100 miles. Seems a big step up from 50 to 100. For the 50, I did a 30 mile event. And one weekend I did a long fell race (Tour of Pendle) on the Sat & LDWA event on the sun (well most of the Wensleydale Wedge). Do I just need to do more consistent long runs at the weekend or something else?

And is it too quick a jump up from doing 25 miles quite easily, to 50 to 100 in 6 months?

Any thoughts?

Re: Going from 50 to 100

I think it is helpful to just do a steady selection of long races. The Montrail series 2008 might help you focus on getting those distance runs in. I thought the 2007 series made a huge difference to the performances of runners who took part regularly.

If you can't make the series, I'd just try to do as many long days out (25 miles) in the hills as possible.

I think its largely a mental jump. If you are fit enough to run 50, then you can do 100. But its mentally a lot harder. The pain lasts longer, you get so many highs and lows. You've got to get your eating and drinking right, in a 50 you can battle through, a 100 you can't, everything needs to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I think its largely a mental jump. If you are fit enough to run 50, then you can do 100. But its mentally a lot harder. The pain lasts longer, you get so many highs and lows. You've got to get your eating and drinking right, in a 50 you can battle through, a 100 you can't, everything needs to be good.
    If it is largely mental, then I think I'll be OK - it would be the big thing to aim for and I'm fairly confident I'd do because I wanted to. (Perhaps another way of saying bloody minded I don't know!)

On eating - someone else who runs seriously fast 100ks asked me that - on LDWA events, I don't find it a problem, think because I'm going so slowly.

As for the pain - do I really want to think about that? And so many highs and lows? Again, do I really want to know that? Does that point to not doing it with someone (in case your highs and lows don't coincide - or because they coincide?!)

[quote=IainR;90531]I think its largely a mental jump.

I'll second that ,you've got to be able to get your head round doing the distance . One way is to just think as far as the next checkpoint so breaking it up into a series of 6-8 mile stages .After 30 miles or so if you start thinking , 70 still left then you've no chance ,but think of it as 5 miles to the next rest (however short ) and then reset the target . Works for me .

Start eating early and keep eating all the way through.
    Last edited by duracell; 17-12-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: More added

I think its easier to do it with people.

On the West Highland Way this year, I had a bad day at the office, just felt shit from mile 1, no highs just a persistant low. I now think I had a virus as I was vomiting and couldn't regulate my temperature (throwing up whenever I felt warm, even though I was shivvering). Anyway my wife ran with me for lots and at 72 miles I said I'd run alone for 3 miles, then she could do the leg over to kinlochleven with me. I left her not too bad and arrived 3 miles later a shell, the other members of my support crew couldn't believe that inside 30 minutes I'd just fallen apart mentally. I'd just taken a down turn, full of self pity and had just spiralled. Running with people prevents that happening I think.

Yiannis said to me before my Paddy Buckley round, that I'd have low points, just plod on and you'll get through them. Good advice to bare in mind.

Also Agree with the mentally breaking the route into legs, helps massively IMO. And the eating, little and often, NEVER stop, a few minutes max.