Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fell running at night

Re: Fell running at night

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    That reminds me that I should carry a spare headtorch!
    A spare is always a good idea, just a Petzl Tikka or something.

It gets interesting running in a group when somebody's torch fails, it's best running alongside them, but this isn't always possible, and then being ahead of them can be more useful than being behind - although the light-less runner can't see the ground immediately under their feet they can see what's coming up. If running behind the light-less one they are in their own shadow a lot, which is worse.

I use a tikka xp as spare now and myo xp belt as main lamp, slightly overkill but I've been experimenting with a red filter on the tikka.

Bill

I would have loved to be able to accept Luv Shack's invitation to head up onto Kinder tonight. Snow lying, a bit of moonlight - I can imagine how magical it must be. Easier to find that rocky knoll than in daylight on Sunday!

I have great memories from when I lived in Scotland, of a group of us running flat out downhill in snow on Ben Ledi, and of another run up Dumyat and back in the snow. There was so much light about that there was no need for headtorches.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    I've been experimenting with a red filter on the tikka.
    Why the red filter, are you trying to convert the blue Petzl light into white or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    Why the red filter, are you trying to convert the blue Petzl light into white or something?
    It just gives out a red light which doesn't affect your night vision, the light output must be reduced by about 95% though.
    Can be useful when the moon's out when you don't need the main light on but want to see where your putting your feet.

Bill

Fellhound

I've often thought a yellow filter would be a good idea for misty conditions, provided you didn't lose too much light output in the process. It's noticable how much better the yellowish halogen bulb in my Duo penetrates mist.

Remember when French cars all had yellow headlights? That was something to do with performance in fog I think, and fog lamps for cars are often yellow because light at the yellow end of the spectrum performs better in heavy moisture vapour than light at the blue end.

Just a thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    I've often thought a yellow filter would be a good idea for misty conditions, provided you didn't lose too much light output in the process. It's noticable how much better the yellowish halogen bulb in my Duo penetrates mist.

Remember when French cars all had yellow headlights? That was something to do with performance in fog I think, and fog lamps for cars are often yellow because light at the yellow end of the spectrum performs better in heavy moisture vapour than light at the blue end.

Just a thought.....
    Is it not because yellow is less likely to dazzle?

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF5/593.html

I'll have to check it out.

I think next time I go for a night run I'll have plenty of spare lights

Bill

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler
    I
    Remember when French cars all had yellow headlights? That was something to do with performance in fog I think
    I think it was because they looked chic with a Gitane, a pastis and a bad attitude.

Oh, is this an excuse for this by the way?

top tune - not heard that for years or maybe not wanted too as she stole my beau!!!